Author Topic: ..............simply gbl?  (Read 2253 times)

soulbee

..............simply gbl?
« on: March 01, 2003, 03:49:00 PM »
I have found a source for gbl through a nail polish remover, though the ingredients contain orange peel extract and amino acids(dimethytlgluterate, dimethylsuccinate, dimethyladipate). Thinking that these were friendly amino acids, I ingested some and got quite nauseous. Is there any way to extract the other ingredients to simply have gbl?

raffike

how about simple distillation?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 04:51:00 PM »
how about simple distillation?

thallium

Amino acids..? Dimethyl glutarate, dimethyl...
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2003, 05:14:00 PM »
Amino acids..? Dimethyl glutarate, dimethyl succinate and dimethyl adipate are esters of diacids (pentanedioic acid, butanedioic acid, hexanedioic acid).

I would distill the mixture even if they are pretty harmless (the acids are used as food additives).

TTTE

how did u know it contains gbl?
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 11:01:00 PM »
how did u know it contains gbl? was it listed on the bottle??

soulbee

yep........
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2003, 12:11:00 AM »
.........only three ingredients listed: amino acids, gamma butyrolactone, & orange peel extract. Although, after distillation you'd probably get so little gbl it's not worth it.

Chromic

Harmless
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2003, 01:05:00 AM »
I'd start off by converting to NaGHB. I'd react 1 mol GBL with 1 mol A.C.S. NaOH (or 1 mol baking soda with 10 parts water, reflux 20 mins). Then I'd distill off the water. The orange peel extract should distill off, and what remains should be safer to your body.

If it still isn't clean enough, recrystallize with ethanol and you should be good to go.

soulbee

hunh.......
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2003, 03:20:00 PM »
........alright, I'll give it a go. The smell of the orange peel extract is nauseating alone. We'll see how long my source for this stuff lasts also. ;o( Thanks! :o)