Author Topic: Filtering out the RP...  (Read 2802 times)

snoozer

Filtering out the RP...
« on: August 30, 2004, 02:13:00 PM »
Swim recently completed a 48 LWR which as far as swim can tell ran successfully ;D . He mixed the E with RP thoroughly in flask added H2O and lastly I2 and quickly capped with condensor and condom on top. He slowly increased heat over 1 hour. He was pleased to see it proceed as Geez had described with clouds of yellow vapour generated slowly IN THE FLASK! :)  and not in swims face as was the case previously before he could place the condensor on! :-[  
As he increased the heat the condom inflated and stayed that way for the full 48 hours (this hasn't happened before). Reaction temps never got over 100c except when swim let the sand dry out and the temp rose briefly before adding more water. Both RP and I were LG and the E very clean.
Swim is ready to distill now having done the NP wash and based. However something has swim puzzled, when he filtered the RP out he noticed what seemed to be Iodine crystals mixed with the RP. Swim would have thought the HI environment would have dissolved all the crystals? swim hasn't seen this before, does this sound like a good or bad sign?
Just something else swim needs confirmation on: after distilling the FB (which swim has down) and dissolving in NP is it absolutely necessary to dry the NP as swim is afraid the drying agent may steal some of the goodies, lowering yield?

12cheman12

You didnt mention the ratios used, how much of
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 04:10:00 PM »
You didnt mention the ratios used, how much of each substance did you chuck in?

biotechdude

answers and questions
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 02:17:00 AM »
when he filtered the RP out he noticed what seemed to be Iodine crystals mixed with the RP

Not entirely sure... Did you dilute your reaction mix?  RP can sometimes clump together and may have some iodine (decomposed HI) on the surface.  Regardless, you need to rinse your rp well (try hot dH2O) and add the washes back into the reaction mix.

after distilling the FB (which swim has down) and dissolving in NP is it absolutely necessary to dry the NP as swim is afraid the drying agent may steal some of the goodies, lowering yield?

You can pre-dry your NP; negating this risk.  Then proceed with gassing.  Don't worry about your drying agent stealing yields, a wet NP will steal far more.

That said, Swix is curious - if one pre-dries their NP, takes up the fb, then proceeds with NP-washes (with water etc).  Doesn't this render the NP 'wet' again? 

Then you would have to dry again before gassing, but if you were titrating the NP would become 'wet' again (requiring cold dry acetone rinses after evap).  Can anybee confirm this line of reasoning

ChemoSabe

Those Rainy Day Stash Spots
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 03:14:00 AM »
Swim's buddy always lets a little water go with the wash NP as a rainy day "stash spot".

There will usually be some yeild loss if drying out the FB laden NP. The loss can later be recovered from the clumped together drying agent by soaking it in warm non polar solvent. This is yet another "rainy day stash spot". Don't discard or bake the drying agent if you've not yet recovered the goods they hold.

That last paragraph could be titled "accidentally filtering out the FB"

PS. If left to sit for too long in the open air the freebase of meth will convert to the meth carbonate salt form due to contact with atmospheric CO2 gas. It has somewhat of a talcum powder smell to it taht some may recognize from old stashes of lye water. It is active pharmacologically. There is a rumor that it is superior to the hydrochloride salt for vaporizing (smoking) but to me that is still just a rumor.

PS. Bagging and sealing the used drying agent is how to keep the trapped FB from converting to meth carbonate bewtween the time you re-extract it.

snoozer

Ratios used were 1:1.2:0.4:0.8 being for
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 10:56:00 AM »
E:I:RP:H20 for a 35gm reaction.
Yeah swim did rinse thoroughly with near boiling H20 'cause he got low yields last time and suspected some may still have been trapped in the red :( .
It looked exactly like metallic silver chips :o leading me to believing it was undissolved iodine. I don't think from the ratio it would have been an excess of I would it (although it was lab grade)?

geezmeister

metallic silver?
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »
Metallic silver? I've never seen iodine that looked like that. Dull gray, yes. Silver? No.

With the ratios you used you should have around four grams of red phosphorous remaining after you rinse it with acetone. It should be good to go, and if there were iodine crystals in it the red phosphorous and iodine would react to form HI. So-- is it iodine? No.

What is it? I don't know-- probably an impurity from your iodine source.

wareami

Old MacIbee
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 05:53:00 AM »
Geez: Surely you remember "Old MacIbee had a Pharm"?
E-I-E-I-Ohhhhh!
And on that pharm he had some nubiangoats
E-I-E-HI-Ohhhhh My? :-[
With a GoatCult here and a GoatCult there...
Hear A cult...There a Cult...
Oh Hell...There went the Neigh-burro Hood :P
Got FarmAid???

These were mirror like flat solid shapes(straightpin, diamond and an occasional rhomboid) and were silver metalic looking in appearance after forming 2-4weeks in almost spent tinc mother liquid. No xtal size ever exceeded ½ inch(1.27cm or ¼ of a millipede ;D ) in length.
Here is the first reported sighting of the strange ungrey matter as seen by the FLY-BY-NITE crew!

Post 451490 (missing)

(wareami: "Sir Jacked", Stimulants)

Not to sure what snoozerbee might have created or how.
Not in light of the fact that a 48hr reflux should have worn down a bouldersized I2 crystal.
Unless hotpockets or drysockets(concentrationcamps[yikes!] ;) ) formed protecting some of the I2 from HI exposure.
Those CC's are part of the reason Ibee started suggesting the 6-8hr checkpoints(stirs) during rxns exceeding 12hr.
Ounce of prevention=Pound of cure mentality

ModHelp Please
The first I noticed a ratio error in an earlier I2 post, it was in the FAQ I2 section and since editting expired, I couldn't change it so I asked Stoni through PM  if she wouldn't mind changing it. She changed the ratio to the correct amount in that thread. I knew another existed but couldn't find it until now. Not for lack of trying however. I wouldn't want her to think the only time I PM her is when I need something :o  :P  
That's just a strange coincidence ;)
What's a fluke among SWIMS eh?
Yeah Yeah...I'm floundering... ;D
So if the stim mods wouldn't mind doing the honors, I'd greatly appreciate it 8)
This declaration also doubles as a public whipping post for any that may have been mislead by Ibee's oversight/error.
The post in question is

Post 451490 (missing)

(wareami: "Sir Jacked", Stimulants)

The line in question:
"Went to bleach/tinc<@1oz tinc/½ oz bleach:"

The correction needed:
Went to ¼oz bleach for every 1oz 2% tinc
Thanx!

snoozer

Well, metallic silver was a poor description!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »
Well, metallic silver was a poor description! on second thoughts yeah, a dull grey with speckles would be accurate. Swim has long suspected he may be colourblind anyway :P
Its very unlikely the iodine has impurities being lab grade, its just my lousy description of it.