Author Topic: Unreacted or I2 colour?  (Read 3254 times)

popi

Unreacted or I2 colour?
« on: March 17, 2004, 09:02:00 AM »
In a a\b workup noticed a dark cola colour,clear.Did the GeezWare Nano.e:10 mbrp:8 I2:13,fluxed 48 hrs.I2 was fresh!washed lots but still not 100%dry! Used 8mlH2o\gr.120C was the heat.Showed signs of Hi produced,small wiffs but present.Had a red,maroon colour of reaction ,all dissolved well.Boiled with added dh2o,15 min to rid the dark colour.No luck. Distilled portion and got a clear oil on a cloudy solution.All seemed to look good.Based and got the smells but no crsytalls,got some powder,bitter not really bitter and no effect from go.Swim knows something's wrong,but what?I2 was still not clean,or the weight was wrong because of fresh I2 and is unreacted?It was producing Hi.The base was done well, the ph 7 was with xylene and Ma with small ammount of h2o.The solution then was cloudy and there was not 2 layers?just cloudy whitish solution.Repeated with 2 layers showing but returned nothing.Confused.

auntyjack

popi, your post is rather unclear...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 02:25:00 PM »
popi, your post is rather unclear...

"Distilled portion and got a clear oil on a cloudy solution."

describe this in more detail....it seems as if you finished the rxn then distilled which wont work UNTIL you basify...the rxn produces the hydrochloride which won't steam distill

"All seemed to look good.Based and got the smells but no crsytalls"....basing does not produce crystals....

maybe you know what you are doing and your description of your procedure is muddled....don't worry though, a real bee will be along shortly, but i fear they will be annoyed...

popi

48 hour reflux=no go
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 08:43:00 PM »