Author Topic: DMSO in aus: horse massage gel  (Read 2041 times)

Dazza

DMSO in aus: horse massage gel
« on: October 19, 2003, 10:03:00 PM »
hmm. the only OTC source of DMSO that i've found in australia is in a gel form, sold as horse massage rub. now i havent been able to find any MSDS' for them so does someone here in aus know of another use, apart from horse massage gel, preferably where it's used in liquid form. if not does anyone here have any idea of what type of things are used to make it a gel and whether it can be seperated from it to use as a solvent.
the one thing i read in the MSDS for DMSO was that it's BP is 189 (degrees celcius) and it exothermically decomposes at 150, so would a simple vacuum distillation suffice in this case?

Rhodium

so would a simple vacuum distillation suffice...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 01:04:00 AM »
so would a simple vacuum distillation suffice in this case?

It depends on what the other ingredients are.

abolt

Walk into a chem suppliers and buy 20 litres.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 07:33:00 PM »
Walk into a chem suppliers and buy 20 litres.

It is not in any way watched.

stratosphere

it is listed as a watched chem in the US at...
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 05:46:00 PM »
it is listed as a watched chem in the US at least, of course according to this same list (on erowid)  Al foil is watched.

i no of people buying here in the US in liter sized quantities with no problems, 20 liters might arrouse the ever watchful eye of big brother though.

stratosphere

talk about otc, apparently it has some sort of
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 06:01:00 PM »
talk about otc, apparently it has some sort of use as a vitamin/health fad, and can be obtained in pure form.

i find this odd, because i thought dmso allowed chemicals to diffuse through the skin.

anyhow search google for dmso, and look to the right hand side of the screen.

Buster_Hymen

Type some letters, add a ".com",...
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 12:01:00 PM »
Type some letters, add a ".com", and .

All day long.

methyl_ethyl

DMSO
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2003, 03:22:00 PM »
I could not believe it but yes DMSO is being sold for topical use in humans.  I do not think this will last very long, I think it is only approved for use in humans for interstitial cystitis.  The fact that this stuff is being sold OTC for human topical use is frightening. 
     We used to supply an equine preparation consisting of nearly pure DMSO to horse people, I almost passed out when I saw a cattleman after a long day, take the bottle and apply it to his (very, very, very, dirty arm), like it was icy-hot or something.  His comment was something along the lines of, "cleans you right up, and takes away the stiffness, all in one".  I was speechless……   I was trying to quantify in my head how much "shit" was being carried into his body.  I wish I remembered the story that was told to me that was a means of deterrent when it came to humans using DMSO as a topical liniment.  The story was so outrageous that I could never tell it.  I wish I had it in writing, it would be a great couch post…   8)   

This substance is a very efficient transdermal delivery system in which I do not think should be made available to the general public OTC.  IMO.

I did however stumble across some interesting information that might be of some use to fellow bees...

INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR MEDICINE
8: 553-560, 2001
Makoto Nakamuta et al.

Medline (PMID=11605027)

http://www.dmso.org/articles/information/muir.htm

Dimethyl sulfoxide inhibits dimethylnitrosamine-induced hepatic fibrosis in rats.

"Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) is known to have beneficial properties as an anti-inflammatory and anti-ischemic agent in a variety of tissues (14). In addition, DMSO has been reported to protect the liver against injury induced by drugs and chemicals such as acetoaminophen, bromobenzen, thio-acetamide, and carbon tetrachloride (15-19). Although these beneficial pharmacological actions have been well-established, little is known about the effects of DMSO on the hepatic fibrosis."

Interesting....  I have only used it as an equine liniment and cellular cryopreservative.

m_e

ahgreich

Stateside DMSO
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2003, 08:29:00 PM »
In a certain bottom righthand corner of America, rural purity is 2 hours outside of any metro area. Find any small rural town 'farm supply' or 'feed-n-seed' and therein you'll find 99.73% DMSO for $4.95 per pint.
SB has seen the gel discussed as well, and it specifically sez 'not to be used as a solvent...', but everyone in the health-scam business knows that folks buy the gel to mix with whatever snake-oil they want delivered quickly to their vital parts. The Gel is 90%, and it states only DMSO and H20- maybe that forms an emulsion of some sort? It's crystal clear and , as one would expect, disappears very quickly from a finger dipped into it.

gruns

Wow...
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2003, 09:28:00 PM »
Wow, that's pretty cheap, I got a 200ml bottle for around
$11, I guess I'm a sucker... I got mine at a health food
store.

Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow.