Author Topic: catalytic reduction of nicotinic acid  (Read 2324 times)

stratosphere

catalytic reduction of nicotinic acid
« on: January 07, 2004, 01:47:00 AM »
i was wondering if anyone had any references on the catalytic reduction of nicotinic acid. (as possible starting material for arecoline synth, arecoline required for "cociane light" synth)
from the research ive done so far it seems pyridine can be reduced with Pt at medium pressures at room temp, but havn't found any specific info on nicotinic acid, nor any theoretical information which would allow me to predict how the COOH substituient would effect reaction.

Nicodem

Arecolinomania
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »
There was a post about a fentanyl (or its analogue?) preparation that had the details about N-methyl-isonicotinic acid reduction (with H2/cat.). Try UTFSE. Must work with nicotinic acid also to get N-methyl-haxahydro-nicotinic acid.
Haven't you thought that the easyest way to get arecoline is to isolate it from the betel nuts?

stratosphere

looked into betel nuts, would require many...
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »
looked into betel nuts, would require many many kg's of betel nut to get few g's of arecoline, plus there are many arecoline analogs present which may be difficult to seperate.

java

Re: COOH reactivity in catalytic hydrogenation
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 04:56:00 PM »
I have found COOH very difficult to reduce under catalytic hydrogenation ,save by using some Ruthanium (spelling.) or Rhodium complex hence catalytic hydrogenation will maily affect the N and some of the double bonds ,with the catalyst you've suggested in the Hydrogenation........java

stratosphere

that is good, as i wanted the COOH unreduced,...
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 07:35:00 PM »
that is good, as i wanted the COOH unreduced, does the COOH side chain have any effect on the reducibility of the neighboring double bonds?

java

Re: COOH reactivity in catalytic hydrogenation
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 07:54:00 PM »
The N will take some of the H from the ring to make NH but to clear your thinking , go to Rhodium and download the Rylander's Book on catalytic hydrogenation and in it you will answer many of your concerns.......java

superman

"would require many many kg's of betel...
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 06:09:00 AM »
"would require many many kg's of betel nut to get few g's of arecoline"

are you sure you did the math correctly?    i figured a pound of betel woul;d produce 12 grams of arecoline!