Author Topic: Sassafras question  (Read 2144 times)

transform

Sassafras question
« on: December 20, 2002, 11:17:00 AM »
Swim was looking into obtaining some sassafras oil like most bees. I cam across a source who sold it for a reasonable price. My question though is that it said that it was non-food grade, I looked it up in TFSE and came up with nothing...Does that make any difference. This may be a stupid question and in the wrong forum (even though it deals with buying chems).

pickler

non food grade is the one you want.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2002, 11:51:00 AM »
non food grade is the one you want.

I went into the business for the money, and the art grew out of it.-Charlie Chaplin

transform

Alright. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2002, 11:52:00 AM »
Alright. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure. Cause it would suck to get the wrong stuff :P

gabd

What is sassafras oil
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2002, 07:27:00 AM »
without safrole? How can they call it that if they take 90% off of the oil? Are there sassafras plants that dont make safrole?

goiterjoe

same plant, different extraction
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2002, 07:53:00 AM »
Safrol-free oil is made by alcohol extraction of the roots.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. There's no use being a fool about it.

Rhodium

How can they call it that if they take 90% off of ...
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2002, 07:54:00 AM »
How can they call it that if they take 90% off of the oil?

Good question. But you could ask the same question about the majority of american food for example.

Are there sassafras plants that dont make safrole?

No.

carboxyl

The FDA considers safrole to be a carcinogen ...
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 05:05:00 PM »
The FDA considers safrole to be a carcinogen which is why you won't find it in foods. Food grade sassafras oil contains no safrole, non food grade has the stuff we want.

There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?

Rhodium

language barriers
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2002, 08:04:00 PM »
Yes of course, what I meant to say was that a huge amount of american food products consists of 90% fake and 10% genuine ingredients, with artificial additives covering up the fact that the "All natural Strawberry Lemonade" really is 10% strawberry and 90% grape juice (because the latter is way cheaper), even though it is still called "All natural Strawberry Lemonade". A brand with no strawberry juice and only sugar, food coloring and some artificial flavoring agents has to drop the "All natural" prefix and is simply called "Strawberry Lemonade". I mean, if the market looks like that when it comes to actual FOOD, why would you assume that the essential oil market would hold higher standards?