Author Topic: GBL related question.  (Read 2242 times)

james88

GBL related question.
« on: June 06, 2003, 08:59:00 AM »
Here is the situation.  I have a mixture of GBL that contains 90% GBL and 10% made up of some other things, including amonia.  The solution is pretty much neutral PH. 

I either need to find a way to seperate the GBL from the other ingredients, or a way to take the solution from a neutral PH to a basic one, so that I can react it with sodium hydroxide to make GHB.  Because the solution that contains the GBL is PH neutral already, adding the sodium hydroxide makes it too acidic.  Can anyone suggest either a way to extract the GBL from the rest of the solution, or a clear base to use prior to adding the sodium hydroxide.

Using Baking Powder does work as one base solution, but it makes for thick, white GHB.  Is there anything that will have the same results as using a baking powder and water solution that is clear, so that it will not affect the way the GHB looks when it is finished?

Chromic

Baking SODA
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 03:34:00 AM »
Never use baking powder to make NaGHB from GBL... use baking soda.

GBL is of a pretty neutral pH when first mixed with water, only later does it turn acidic.

And yes, learn more chemistry before you hurt someone or yourself more than you have to.