Author Topic: Evaporation Of finished Product  (Read 3243 times)

LokiTheFirst

Evaporation Of finished Product
« on: March 12, 2003, 02:28:00 AM »
Swim once saw someone drying their finished product over a hotplate, in a pyrex plate, he said it started smoking and the guy started fanning it.

what swim wants to know is "do you need to let it start smoking before you pull it off"

foxy2

I'd say its a bad idea, unless your inhaleing...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 02:48:00 AM »
I'd say its a bad idea, unless your inhaleing that smoke!

littlejasebee

Yep it's a bad idea
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 03:00:00 AM »
Yep it's a bad idea indeed        :-[     .

Littlejase       :)       .

epistemologicide

let it evap down to the skin, and when it gets
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 05:11:00 AM »
let it evap down to the skin, and when it gets to the stage of crystal like or whitish dry bubbles, put on,low heat, and pick up the pyrex bowl, tilt from side to side if you can see no liquid (trapped water under neath the fb) then

add the acetone,

NeverSleepy

steam
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2003, 10:07:00 PM »
he probly meant steam

DrBumpz

I say..
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 08:00:00 AM »
I say fuck evaporating your final product. If you learn how to make something and carry it out to final product, you should also know how to gas it! It also lets everyone's grubby, tweaking little hands on it quicker;)!

hexagonium

come on!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2003, 05:20:00 AM »
Who are we kidding? Now we all know that many (even seasoned) bees give their acid/water mix evap process a little help. (Those that don't gas) Swim would love to know the different methods used to do this.

swim will rephrase the question:

if swiy HAD to evap their acid/water mix quickly (even though swiy wouldn't do it), how would swiy do that? Theories welcome. :)

Coitus

ha
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 08:47:00 AM »
The toaster oven works great....and it's quick too....Just as quick to burn the shit if not careful.....

SiLiCoN7

Use a fan!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 02:45:00 PM »
If ya want to evap quickly use a pyrex plate sitting in a pot on the stove with a fan blowing just above the plate (not on it or it will cool it to much) Boil the shit out of the water in the pot and go do something else.
"A watched pot never boils" even though we all know this is bullshit (I've seen it, I tells ya) smoking cones or otherwise distracting onesself  greatly decreases the percived time to evap. 
This method can evap 250 mls in about 45 mins depending on the HCL concentration. To much HCL will take ages to evap so just use a minimum. You will never burn your product as long as there is water in the pot.

Stonium

So like, I'm WAY behind on my reading...
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2003, 08:22:00 AM »
Boil the shit out of the water in the pot and go do something else.
Right. Don't forget to get sidetracked while you're at it and destroy the (hopefully) desired product.

To much HCL will take ages to evap so just use a minimum.
What's this? One cannot simply throw in the "desired" amount of hydrochloric acid here. A certain amount is required to adjust the pH of the water to a level that will allow crystalization to occur.

if swiy HAD to evap their acid/water mix quickly (even though swiy wouldn't do it), how would swiy do that? Theories welcome.
Uhm...theories?

Come now, how many novel ways can there be to "speed up" (pun intended) an HCl/water evaporation?    :P  

If you learn how to make something and carry it out to final product, you should also know how to gas it!
Bravoium.

I know this: Once you DO learn it and everything is all white and shiny and pretty, you'll wish you'd done so sooner.

wyndowlicker

Easy!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2003, 09:24:00 PM »
Hey now,

I cant see why anyone would still tartrate over gassing?I experienced over tartration too many times to go back.Give me a bottle,hcl and a drying agent and its on.I vac filter my fluffy crystals till almost dry.Then I use a heat lamp to dry.Usally takes only a half hour or so to dry.Cant bee any easier.Why take the chance on adding too much HCL? :P

Rhodium

Clarification
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2003, 11:38:00 PM »
What is "over tartration"? If you have you been experimenting with using tartaric acid instead of HCl, then it is even more important to not add more than the required amount of acid, as excess tartaric acid cannot evaporate, as opposed to HCl.

Aurelius

solubilities
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2003, 01:01:00 AM »
Actually, Rhodium, I'd rather 'over-tartrate' because excess HCl can ruin many products, creating toxic (or otherwise poisonous) by-products.  Using the selective solubitilies of the tartrate salt and the acid itself, you can filter off excess acid.  The HCl, although you can evaporate it off, it's not necessarily a good idea (as mentioned above).  Plus, you'll need to recrystallize the product anyway (especially if you are over-titrating). 

thoughts?

Rhodium

"tartrating"
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2003, 01:23:00 AM »
Oh, I was thinking of a slight excess, as in by mistake over-acidifying by a milliliter of conc HCl or so, I didn't even think about the possibility of adding a considerable excess. And yes, as recrystallization is to be done afterwards anyway, excess tartaric acid will be removed at that point anyway.

Oh, he meant over-titrating? Do I feel stupid now or what?