Author Topic: Glow-In-The-Dark Bubble Stuff?  (Read 2017 times)

mutex7

Glow-In-The-Dark Bubble Stuff?
« on: July 04, 2003, 09:32:00 AM »
I would like to make some glow-in-the-dark bubble stuff.  Why, you ask.  Why did Brand putrify and then distill 50 buckets of urine in an attempt to produce the 'philosopher's stone'?  For the same reason most original science is done...to see if it can be done and to see what happens.

I have tried mixing various consistencies of bubble stuff with the fluid from various glow-in-the-dark light sticks but no joy.

The problem is that you need to maintain bubble cohesion while at the same time incoporating sufficient phosphorescent material so the bubbles can be seen in the dark.

I am considering phosphorus or perhaps a phosporescent paint pigment...I'd rather avoid radioactivity, for the moment at least :-).

I have heard that some very talented, if somewhat condescending, chemists frequent this site and I was hoping some combination of flattery, intrigue and sheer bullshit would help me get some pointers on how to proceed.

Thanks, and Happy 4th of July!!!!

jrfoxxx1

D-Luciferin cas# 2591-17-5
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 09:53:00 AM »
intersting idea.  i dont know what chemicals are in the glow in the dark light sticks, but as i recall from breaking them open as a kid, the liquid was fairly thick, and therefore would work to well for bubbles (not enough surface tension to form bubble light enough to float). i would check into d-luciferin it is easily available for about $5o/5g. i dont know if its more condusive to forming bubbles, but its how fireflies glow, so it would be safer than phosphorus and such, and doesnt burn like phosphorus would, just glows upon exposure to oxygen with little heat produced (it obviously doesnt harm the fireflies)

mutex7

Luciferin...
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 10:24:00 AM »
I had thought about using luciferin because I live in the country and have access to a lot of fireflies...that is until I read that Bitler and McElroy first isolated 9mg of oxyluciferin from over 15,000 firefiles!!!!

Thanks though, I may look into purchasing some...that definitely seems the better option.

karl

Wouldn't an increased surface tension only...
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 12:00:00 PM »
Wouldn't an increased surface tension only make it more difficult for a bubble to float? - an increased surface tension, all other factors the same, would increase the air pressure in the bubble and consequently its density would also increase. This would only work against any buoyancy. A lower surface tension favours bubble formation too - Although this point is probably not relevant the main discussion the chemical might actually have a defoaming action, you'll have to suck it and see I spose.

jrfoxxx1

probably,but
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 12:14:00 PM »
for all practical purposes, i believe that that is so, but, and i may be mistaken, air pressure is only partly responsible for surface tension in regards to bubbles. i believe the viscosity of the liquid would be important too, although, i believe that if a more viscous liquid is used, ie. oil instead of water, you would have a stronger bubble,but it would also require more air pressure to sustain the increase in the liquids mass. however, if one were to find a more viscous liquid, but whose mass were no greater than soap in water (the standard 'blowing' bubble liquid, you'd be ok. the problem would be finding one that also glows.

nitrous351

Re-entry ink
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 01:09:00 PM »
Here's an idea: why don't you try using re-entry ink in solution with bubbles? Re-entry ink can be bought at a party store (a store that sells balloons, streamers, confetti, etc). It's yellowish liquid that comes in pint size plastic bottles. It's clear when applied, but glows bright white under UV light. It's used to mark people's hands at clubs after they pay. Let me know if this works, as I think glow-in-the-dark bubble is a sweet idea. Even if you don't use my idea, and you get a working writeup, post it so I can identify other bees at parties...they'll be the ones with the glow-in-the-dark bubbles! peace

LaBTop

Bubble rave party?
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 07:00:00 PM »
Is this the whole idea behind your questions?

A swimming pool party with a whole pool filled with luciferine, and then switching off the lights and starting the bubble machines filled with re-entry marking ink.

On second thoughts,beter sell the idea and fluids involved also to sex clubs and homo clubs.
And to toy departments from megastores. LT/  :)

Stonium

Silly me...
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2003, 11:56:00 PM »
All this time I thought this was a discussion board for clandestine chemistry.   :-[

blaaky

look on ebay
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »
Candle and soap making is one of my hobbies, *wink*
I was browsing ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2331677172

That auction even gives a little information on the chemical composition so maybe you can find some solubility data.

Have fun with whatever your doin
-blaaky

karl

I fear you will face a problem similar to the...
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2003, 01:14:00 PM »
I fear you will face a problem similar to the problem of dying a bubble any particular colour - a bubble is a thin film of the order of a wavelength of visible light thick and if you are using an aqueous solution of the dying or glowing agent, it is diluted combined with the thinness of the film so it would be too weak to be observed. High concentrations of the glowing agent to counter this  could probably interfere with the bubble forming process.

mutex7

Phosphorescent Powder
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2003, 01:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I just bought an ounce of the blue glow powder 'Alkaline Earth Silicate' so I will let you know how it works.

I should have checked their web site first however.  The site seems to indicate that an Alkaline Earth Aluminate (green or aqua) would give me a better chance for success but who knows.  If I get partial success it just means I have to buy more !

:P

mutex7

You may be right Karl...
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2003, 01:28:00 PM »
I guess the question is can you increase the thickness of the bubble (viscosity of the soap/detergent mixture) to the point where it can support enough phosphorescent material without either becoming too heavy to float or to where it loses cohesion.

Prince_Charles

What you need
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2003, 05:38:00 PM »
is a phosphorescent material with a low surface energy: thermodynamics concentrates them in the surface. This is what happens with e.g. detergents, they are preferentially concentrated at the surface, where they reduce the surface tension. Bath foam (bubbles) has a much higher concentration of bubble bath than the water it forms from. Guiness froth has a much higher concentration of the nasty bitter foaming chemicals added during manufacture.

The practical way is to test. You might be lucky. The right stuff will be highly concentrated in the bubble. Why not fluoresecent dye and black-lights?

Anansi

fluorescant dye and blacklights
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2003, 04:29:00 AM »
Prince Charles makes a good point when he suggests using fluorescant dyes and blacklights - if this is a workable solution in terms of the context in which you wish to produce these luminous bubbles then I think it is a great idea.

If I recall correctly, dyes such as fluorascein and rhodamine glow strongly under UV (ie blacklight) when they are present in concentrations as low as a few parts per million - I would guess that this would mean they can be present in sufficient quantities in the film composing a bubble to make it glow.

hope this helps,

..Anansi