Author Topic: March  (Read 4442 times)

moo

March
« on: October 03, 2004, 01:38:00 PM »
Maybe March's Advanced Organic Chemistry: Reactions, Mechanisms and Structure, 5th Ed.

http://www.wiley-vch.de/publish/en/books/bySubjectNU00/bySubSubjectNU/0-471-58589-0/?sID=d05b

lutesium

moo thanx for advice it looks comphrensive but
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »
moo thanx for advice it looks comphrensive but somehow pricey. Whatever I may be able to order it but I want to ask you a question

Is it worth ordering?
Is it a book that you can open every second a question comes your mind? Can it be considered a good source.

And please mind my post on the books I read and I consider I have a good chem knowledge.

Thanks for all help

T

indole_amine

my preferred ones
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 03:55:00 PM »
Hi!

The problem in general is that the comprehensible books are often not suited for quickly answering questions - due to their comprehensibility... :P

Also good are:

"Practical Organic Chemistry", Frederic George Mann, Bernard Charles Saunders; Longman Inc./NY
(rather old, but often more detailed than "Vogel")

"Advanced Organic Synthesis (methods and techniques)", Richard Monson; Academic Press Inc./NY
(the title speaks for itself; very practical, too)

"Lange's Handbook of Chemistry", Prof. John A. Dean; McGraw-Hill Inc./NY
(the best amongst these three; over 1200 pages full of facts, also good for solving single, small problems without having to read hundreds of pages. And the best thing; it is here, somewhere at the hive ...)

And you should frequently check Java's new posts; thanks to him many good books are available as PDFs.

indole_amine

lutesium

I think you hit the nail on the head ...
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 10:09:00 AM »
I think you hit the nail on the head indole_amine ! You're smart. The real problem is that increasing comphrensiblity decreases the book's fast and practical question answering ability.
Its like:
"The longer a list gets, the less meaning it has"  8)

I also admire vogel but I want to learn more as chemistry is my life but its so complex that it sometimes make the researcher feel like exploding and leave him with a good fever   :-[

Whatever.. I wait for more comments and keep on readin' ya all! Thanx! ;)

moo

It depends on what one wants.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 03:22:00 PM »
It depends on what one wants. March might be a bit heavy reading if one is only interested in theory, even though it is well explained there and referenced too. In that case some else textbook might be a better choice. The references however are one reason why that book is so good. First you have the theoretical part with references, then you have the part detailing various reactions and modifications to them with more references. With a library near you can always go deeper than the book, see some review articles or original work etc. I think the main difference between the 4th ed. and the 5th is that they've mainly updated the part dealing with reactions. So the 4th ed. doesn't have all the newest refs but otherwise it's a good book and might be had second hand much cheaper.

maj

Books
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »
Im sure this is all common knowledge but James W. Zubrick has a very good book that I would advise reading.  It is called the Organic Chemistry Survival Guide, anyone who I have showed this book to has taken a liking.  It is a book that can be enjoyed by the newbee to the Ph.d.  However, you are probably looking for a book with a little more" in-depth" subjects this book may not include

Rhodium

James W. Zubrick has a very good book that I...
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 05:39:00 PM »
James W. Zubrick has a very good book that I would advise reading.  It is called the Organic Chemistry Survival Guide

No, James Zubrick's book is called "The Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual".

maj

oops
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 05:47:00 PM »