Author Topic: Oxalic acid solubility in ethanol  (Read 1947 times)

Megatherium

Oxalic acid solubility in ethanol
« on: March 31, 2004, 03:26:00 AM »
I searched for the solubility of oxalic acid on the internet and found this:

http://voh.chem.ucla.edu/vohtar/spring98/30L/study-exam-k-1.html

1. An organic chemistry lab book gives the following solubility data for oxalic acid (IUPAC name - ethanedioic acid)

9.5 g/100mL of water 23.7 g/100 mL of ethanol 16.9 g/100 mL of ether

It is nice to see that oxalic acid dissolves in ethanol, but for setting up some Mannich reaction procedure, I 'd like to know if these figures are accurate.

I found this in some basic organic chemistry textbook (Morrison & Boyd, 6th ed., Organic chemistry  p 742), which has a funny cartoon on page 474.

It goes like this: Donnald duck walks towards his lab table saying: 'If I mix CH2 (edit: methylene, formed by the ultraviolet light photolysis of diazomethane  ::) ) with NH4 and boil the atoms in osmotic fog, I should get speckled nitrogen'.  At the same time his 3 nephews are saying each seperately:
* He 's talking chemical talk !
* But he knows nothing
* about chemicals !

Anyway, the book says (p 742) that the solubility of oxalic acid is 9 g / 100 g H2O at 20 °C.

Could someone give me an accurate figure of the solubility of oxalic acid in ethanol (this is my primary interest, because a solution of formaldehyde / amine / ethanol is going to bee dropped slowely into an ethanolic solution of ketone and oxalic acid).

Megatherium

I guess his ref. was: Post 453799
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 11:50:00 PM »
I guess his ref. was:

James W. Zubrick, "The Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual", 4th Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 1997, so the info should be correct.

Post 453799 (missing)

(Rhodium: "Theory of Extraction", Newbee Forum)

ning

Oxalic acid solubility in water
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 07:07:00 AM »
Is really, really temperature dependent too. It gets much higher than what you see. I remember calculating that if one were to take a saturated boiling soln. to almost freezing, they would gather in crystals around 90 - 95 % of their acid.