Author Topic: drying homemade p-benzo  (Read 3454 times)

pickler

drying homemade p-benzo
« on: November 24, 2002, 07:44:00 PM »
What is a good way to dry wet p-benzo from a hydro to benzo synth? SWim doesn't have a disecctor(sp?). If swim left it sit out to dry, how long could he let it sit until it started to decompose?

I went into the business for the money, and the art grew out of it.-Charlie Chaplin

Mountain_Girl

My usual method
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 12:42:00 AM »
My usual method for drying solids:

A.
Leave the filter paper with wet product on layers of tissue, newspaper or any other absorbent material for an hour or two [doubt benzoquinone would deteriorate in this time period]. The cake should then look moist as opposed to wet.

B.
Place in dessicator overnight. 'Dessicator' may be any sealed container in which there is a crucible or dish containing some hygroscopic substance. I usually use conc. H2SO4.
If you wanna be sure [picky] about moisture removal you could weigh the product every now and again. When it's mass stops changing it is dry.

A quicker alternative is to leave the product in an oven on low heat for 2-3 hours. But make sure the oven temp is not high enough to melt the solid!
[My oven has seen enough tragedies so that if I actually used it for baking or roasting food, the stuff would taste like PAA and the basting would probably come from 2,5-DMNS]

Mountain Boy

pickler

Thanks. Swim left it out to dry.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 05:28:00 AM »
Thanks. Swim left it out to dry. No decomposition just a pile of nice yellow p-benzo!

I went into the business for the money, and the art grew out of it.-Charlie Chaplin

overclock

Hehe.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 09:28:00 PM »
Any air tight container and a suitable dessicant can be used as a makeshift dessicator.

It will re-arrange into brown/black unusable state in about a week if left/stored wet.

IMO the best way is to make as needed so long term storage considerations don't have to be made. It's much easier/safer to store hydroquinone for long periods if a stockpile is needed.

Yes, it's a little more work, but your guarenteed fresh benzo with no decomposition.

-oc

PS. Start your pdcl2 stirring while you work the benzo synth up. Straight from one reaction to the next.

PSS. Egads, you ever baked benzo? I tried once, the smell was too aweful. Use a makeshift dessicator.

Signature-less, Again.