Author Topic: Keeping Safrole In Solution  (Read 1585 times)

Bwiti

Keeping Safrole In Solution
« on: May 12, 2002, 01:32:00 PM »
What's up folks?! Lets say someone dissolved 100ml safrole and 2 to 3g PdCl2 in 400ml methanol. How many mililiters of 30% H2O2 can be added before the water in it crashes out the safrole? Peace! 8)

Love my country, fear my government.

Rhodium

I believe that is something that has to be ...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2002, 01:55:00 PM »
I believe that is something that has to be determined empirically through actual testing - on a small scale of course, and without the PdCl2.

foxy2

hmmm
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2002, 02:16:00 PM »
Maybe if you add a ptc it won't matter, MAYBEE

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Bwiti

Damn, I never thought of that..
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2002, 04:14:00 PM »
Damn, I never thought of that..If I run into some cheap cetyl-ptc, I might give it a shot.
  I asked that question because I was dreaming about a Wacker idea: Adding large amounts of H202, then flushing vessel with oxygen/oxygen-filled balloon. Also, I want to try shaking the reaction vessel by taping  high-powered dildos to the bottom and side.
  Thanks! :)  

Sunlight

Failures
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2002, 04:27:00 PM »
All test of wacker with H2O2 and safrol have failed. If you want to test it, change conditions, dual phase with DCM or toluene, or acetic or alcoholic solution of safrol and PdCl2 or Pd(AcO)2 does not work, gives other product, presumably an aldehyde.
Ritter:
That Pd(OAc)2 / tBuOH-H202 Wacker does not produce MDP2P with safrole.  It produces a damned near perfect yield of the aldehyde which is useless for our purposes. This was proved by TLC .  The sample was tested against safrole, isosafrole, 3,4MD propiophenone and MDP2P on whatman MK6F silicagel plates using 97:3 toluene/ethyl acetate mobile phase.  The rf of the product produced by that oxidation was different than all of the mentioned compounds and also aminated w/ MeAM perfectly leaving me to conclude it was the aldehyde.  

Don't repeat the same thing, but you can research other conditions...

Bwiti

Shit!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2002, 08:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up! 8)