Author Topic: Brand New Idea on making HI  (Read 4424 times)

ADDkid

Brand New Idea on making HI
« on: October 09, 2003, 03:45:00 PM »
The other day, swig was bored and decided to put his mind to use.  He wanted to figure out some crazy way to make HI, without the need for red phosphorus.  He started to think about ionic bonds, and displacement reactions, etc.  But nothing came to mind.  Then swig, started to think a little about organic chemistry, and a little idea came to mine.  Swig remembered that benzene and other phenyl substituents, undergo substitution reactions.  Since benzene is hard to get, plus toxic, toluene came to mine.  The methyl group on the benzene ring is a weak activator, which means that toluene would react with I2 in a solution of HNO3.  This would form either para-iodotoulene, or ortho-iodotoulene.  Those products are not important.  What is important is that she releases an H+ into the solution, which could be picked up by I-.  Now, I do understand that my proposal does have flaws, which I will describe at the bottom, but this is something we should look into.

1.  A problem with competing N.philes.  ADDkid
  P.S. Sorry I forgot the point, but anyway here it is.  Phenol, might be a strong act. to allow I2 to react with out HNO3

WizardX

Iodination
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 06:57:00 PM »
Iodobenzene is best prepared using this procedure.

http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv2p0351

The preparation of iodobenzene by iodination of benzene, with iodine and nitric acid: Org. Syn. Coll. Vol. I, 1941, 323.

what_is_that

Im not sure about this...
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 08:04:00 PM »
Im not sure about this.  I am but a newbee, and can only grasp the concept of what you are saying.  But...  I ran across this posted reply on totse.  It was a response in a thread about MBRP recovery.  I simply saved it to my HD to investigate at a later time (like... when i know what the hell Im doing  ;) )!  But,  perhaps this info my give you some ideas.  OR,  for all I know, it may just be a bunch of shit  lol:

Jamiroquai
Regular

Registered: Jun 2001  posted 08-01-2003 04:22 /bin/bbs/ubbmisc.cgi?action=getbio&UserName=Jamiroquai /bin/bbs/post.cgi?action=reply&forum=Laboratory+Tips&number=26&topic=002071.cgi&TopicSubject=extracting+red+phosphorous&replyto=23

All you guys need to quit our bitching here and forego the egos and just cut to the chase man......
For one thing, phosphoric acid is a viable and suitable substitute as is orthophosphoric acid as well.
Both legal in the U.S.A. and cheap as fuck.
Those who know......know this is more and more a preferred way to go---------->!

SHORTY

Phosphoric acid is not a substitute for rp.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 08:52:00 PM »
Phosphoric acid is not a substitute for rp.  Phosphorous acid can be used instead of rp.

ADDkid

not iodobenzene
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2003, 12:30:00 AM »
If you use phenol, this would not create that.  You see, I was thinking that the OH group on the benzene ring is strongly reactive.  This might remove the need for a cataly.(HNO3) Hell, UV light might help the spit, but doubtful.  When 1part iodine joins the benzene this creates either othro, or para iodophenol.  The intermediate releases a proton into the solution to regain resonance, hence HI

ADDkid

Somebody please give me feedbacks on the last...
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 07:24:00 AM »
Somebody please give me feedbacks on the last comment

WizardX

Hydrogen donor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 07:12:00 PM »
Simply NO! If your looking at benzene as a hydrogen donor, then your trying to make HI the long way.