Author Topic: Salvia extraction.  (Read 1825 times)

fumarate

Salvia extraction.
« on: June 21, 2003, 07:58:00 PM »
I've been performing a simple salvia extraction with acetone for about 36 hours now, I've been pouring off all the acetone into a flask, leaving the sediment (and adding new fresh leaves) to the original flask every 12 hours. In the flask with the acetone there is a layer of light brown almost white sediment (I'd almost say crystals) collection at the bottom, is that the pure saliva A? If so, should I suck up the green acetone layer and transfer it to a separate flask and let the sediment/crystals air dry, or just boil off the acetone with sediment/crystals at the bottom as is?

catfish

tek unclear
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 12:48:00 AM »
F-
your tek is unclear.
Are you doing a continous 2-cycle extraction and decanting the supernatant liquid to be used to extract more leaf? What volume of solvent are you using for what weight of leaf?
36 hours is much too long to bee extracting salvia.
It should only be done for 10 minutes at a time, twice over if fastidious about yield.
The sediment you speak of is most likely tannins and trichomes, of little value save as a microscopy project. Salvinorin A's solubility in acetone runs about 13 mg/ mL, so unless you have a saturated solution (unlikely) then...
The green acetone will contain the goods, but you will have extracted so much chlorophyll in the 36 hours that to cook off the acetone would yield a sludge of wax.
In addition, the salvinorin A is decomposing while it remains in the acetone, exposed to light. Not to say that the extraction must bee done in the dark, but that the less time the actives are in the 'tone, the beter.
Recommended:
filter you supernatant and cook off your acetone on a hot water bath and then get a crapload of naphtha and defat your sludge until the naphtha is no longer cloudy. Prolly equal to the volume of acetone you extracted with. Do it portionwise, but defat for no more than the time it takes for the substrate to settle again. I also recommend pipetting off the (again) supernatant naphtha to conserve the residue.
PM me or do a FSE search on salvinorin A and my logon.
-catfish

LaBTop

catfish,
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 07:08:00 PM »
Please refrain in future from the word "tek".
My gums are shrinking every time I read it. Reminds me of first year highschool script kiddies. LT/

catfish

apologies
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 02:54:00 AM »
L-
sorry, it's been awile since I've been posting here regularly and I have become accustomed to a different, more informal manner of communication.
You have my assurances that all future posts will be up to Hive standards on grammar, punctuation, terminology and non-self incrimination.
WOW, I can still write like that. Cool!
Thanks, Lab.
-catfish