Author Topic: Two Quick Questions  (Read 5687 times)

Drug_Phreak

Two Quick Questions
« on: October 09, 2004, 02:19:00 AM »
What's the best way to put a nice clean hole in a stopper at whatever size you need? I purchased a borer... thing is worthless. The stoppers I'm trying to put a hole thru are very large and hard and a large Buchner funnel will be place thru the hole. Damn! These stoppers are insane! I never know they where this tough. I'm thinking a tungsten carbide diamond coated drill would do the job!  ;D  Also, what is the fitting called that I need to get for attaching an Aspirator to a regular residential faucet? This aspirator won't fit on right even though it said it fits on faucets directly too. I guess they meant lab faucets.

lugh

Using The Search Engine Would Bee Quicker!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 05:43:00 AM »
If you would have used the search engine to answer these questions, you would have found

Post 202511

(lugh: "Re: Simply Constructed Soxhlet", Novel Discourse)
from 

Post 202327

(lugh: "Simply Constructed Soxhlet", Novel Discourse)
and

Post 299737 (missing)

(lugh: "Stoppers", Newbee Forum)
from

Post 297319 (missing)

(Shambhala: "Improvise an  Addition Funnel?", Newbee Forum)
; which would have been far quicker  ;)  Any other questions you might have are answered already many times, congratulations, you've started another redundant thread  ;D

Drug_Phreak

Yes, I admit I didn't use the search engine on
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 10:09:00 AM »
Yes, I admit I didn't use the search engine on this one. I appreciate the help. I see that a Bee said to rock back and forth when using a borer. He must have some razor sharp borers because I tried everything... I even banged them with a hammer. Nothing worked. Time to get some more drill bits.

Radiumhero

use a piece of...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 03:47:00 AM »
well u should try using a red hot piece of
Metal , like a Nail or something to melt through ...

bio

big stopper holes
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 12:12:00 AM »
I don't know if this is the best way to do it but I know how you feel. Hand boring will never work with the big black neoprene ones. OK maybe in a few days you could do it by hand with some unknown to me tool.

I once put a 7/8 inch hole and two 1/4 holes in some hard black neoprene (chem grade) #15 stoppers. Took a long time ( half a day) using a large free standing drill press to drill three of them. When the thing started smoking time to let it cool and rest your arm a while. Anyway this was after giving up trying to do it with a heavy duty hand drill motor. Good luck "burning a hole" in them unless it's  maybe a #00.

Stonium

Pls take the time to choose a meaningful subject
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 01:31:00 PM »
"Two quick questions" does not a meaningful subject make.  >:(

maj

Any type of metal drilling bit will do fine.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 09:23:00 PM »
Any type of metal drilling bit will do fine.  I have seen holes drilled through stainless steel and I am quite sure this would take care of your problem .  If you don't think so go with the cobalt drill bits.  These are for  really hard and thick steel, iron, s.s. you name it they will definetly get the job done.

Drug_Phreak

OK... thanks for the help everyone.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 12:35:00 AM »
OK... thanks for the help everyone. I'm still having a really hard time finding the correct reducers and connectors to fit my aspirator to the faucet though. I've been to so many stores and none of them had the right thing. I think I'm gonna have to retrofit it with some tubing and put it on my other sink which is way more forceful anyway, but it has no threading. Stonium, I would love to make you happy, but I cannot edit my first post anymore.

wellbie2002

Two Quick Questions
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 06:17:00 AM »
they make a tool called a belt punch used for mining belt comes in different size or gasket punch may work for you