Author Topic: Apricot Kernel Oil  (Read 1432 times)

SiLiCoN7

Apricot Kernel Oil
« on: June 29, 2002, 08:53:00 PM »
SWIS7 has used TFSE and is still unclear whether or not apricot kernel oil contains benzaldehyde or amygdalin and if so in what percentages?

Stonium said that "Apricot and peach kernels contain constituents similar to those of the Bitter Almonds"

Post 62522 (missing)

(Stonium: "Re: Distillation of Bitter Almond Oil", Newbee Forum)
and that amygdalin could be obtained from apricot kernels

Post 63853 (missing)

(Stonium: "Re: Distillation of Bitter Almond Oil", Newbee Forum)
, but there was no conclusion as to how much. Or what exactly makes up apricot kernel oil.
SWIM figures that "100% cold pressed apricot kernel oil" would contain amygdalin and probably benzaldehyde.

The reason SWIM asks is, he saw a bottle at the health food store. This is a new product where SWIS7 lives, the health food guy says the oil contains Vitimin B17, it is supposed to have anti-cancer properties.

If it is intended for human consumption there might not bee any benzaldehyde in there, but the oil says it's pure natural etc. so it has probably not been messed with or distilled. I guess the old smell test is in order. SWIM will go shopping!

SWIS7

the 21st of the 12th 2012......

raffike

Apricot Kernels Consumed as a food, for many the ...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2002, 08:57:00 PM »
Apricot Kernels

Consumed as a food, for many the apricot kernel has been a preferred source of naturally occurring substances known to regulate the production of human chorionic gonadotrophic hormone, a marker for metastatic cancer process. Apricot kernels are also a rich source of benzaldehyde, which has natural pain regulating properties. Generally 1 kernel per 10 lbs. of body weight is used in an overall "IIMP" (Individualized Integrated Metabolic Program) at American Biologics-Mexico S.A. Medical Center and Hospital. Certified organic and sold as a food only. No special claims are made or implied.

Found this text from one web page.

A friend with speed is a friend indeed

terbium

Probably no benzaldehyde.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2002, 09:37:00 PM »
This is probably an oil made by pressing the kernels in which case I doubt that there will be any benzaldehyde. If you want benzaldehyde you need steam distiled oil.

pROcon

Ever taken a bite of the soft kernal inside an ...
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2002, 03:53:00 AM »
Ever taken a bite of the soft kernal inside an apricot seed? quite marzipan-ie

A myth was formed somewhere along the line - that Americas government is not the fault of Americans.

whynotgo

ape in apricot
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2002, 10:41:00 PM »

Bitter almond oil is produced from almonds. Its chief constituent is benzaldehyde, which can be found in several other kernels. As a result, apricot kernels can also be used to produce bitter almond oil. Bitter almonds yield 0.5 to 0.7% volatile oil. One of the advantages of using apricots as a substitute, is that they will produce 0.6 to 1.8% oil (Geunther, 1952).

Thought that apricot rang a bell :P

BenWiFFen

Leatrile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2002, 02:24:00 AM »
You can still get leatrile trement in Mexico for cancer. Made from apircot seeds.

Give me libreum or give me Meth

bee186

Virgin apricot oil any better?
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2002, 10:07:00 AM »

This is probably an oil made by pressing the kernels in which case I doubt that there will be any benzaldehyde. If you want benzaldehyde you need steam distiled oil.

Does anybee know what "virgin" signifies relating to organic oils such as 'Virgin apricot kernal oil'?
Aromatherapy grade. 2lt tin, like an acetone tin. Is this worth working on to isolate some benzaldehyde for future dreams?

just say the expiry date on the tin had passed, would this have damaged any benzaldehyde present?

Anansi

Virgin Apricot Kernel Oil
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2002, 10:44:00 AM »
The term 'virgin' used in this context simply means that the oil is produced is from the first pressing of the kernels. The kernels can be processed again to produce more oil, but only oil from the first pressing is 'virgin' oil.

This product is of no real value for your purposes - as Terbium pointed out - pressed apricot kernel oils will be devoid of benzaldehyde. Oil marked as 'virgin' is definately cold pressed oil.

Hope this helps,

...Anansi

bee186

Fuck the virgins.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2002, 11:09:00 AM »
Anansi. O well, thanks for the explanation. Don't think ill have time to research it further, I trust both your opinions.