Author Topic: Disaster on first try...  (Read 2436 times)

gspotjgc4

Disaster on first try...
« on: April 25, 2004, 10:11:00 AM »

jackhole

Damn, U idn't 2 brite, eh?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 12:05:00 PM »
May I suggest that you read the Stimulants Forum FAQ, ya jackass?

kris_1108

More info
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 03:04:00 PM »
You must give WAY more info if you want anyone to be able to help you.

Have you applied heat yet? What are you using for a flask? How long are you planning for your reaction to be? Are you using labgrade chemicals? Or mbRP and I2 from tincture? How did you extract your p-fed?

What actually IS your problem? Is it that you have seen no smoke?

CharlieBigpotato

no nothing can bee a good sign
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2004, 03:24:00 PM »
might bee worth letting more of that nothing happen...like 24 hrs of it.

nothing needs to happen.

in fact, the best rxns (imho) show no signs of anything happening.

hard to accept that, isn't it?

geezmeister

well, that 's right if...
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2004, 05:01:00 PM »
Well Charles, that is quite right. IF, I might add, there is some WATER in the mixture....

Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink....

gspotjgc4

My bad...
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 06:05:00 PM »
Kris_1108,
I am using mbRP,and I2 tincture.Pseudo was in heat first,then in dH20 Then in Acetone twice.And yes I sealed my makkshift (bad mistake but all I had at time)old 4 inch high milk jug witch is flat bottom for a container.I may be wrong,( and probably are but could have swore E was completely dry).All is still sealed in jug for time being...
Yes,no smoke is my problem everything I have read say's smoke will accure when I2 is added but mine did shit?And I have read for last Six months. Looks like not to well...
Thanks for help and advice from you and all who replied. If you don't try you will never know!Yes i have added heat for 30 minutes and nothing seemed to happen,temp was approx. 180
I2/mbRP/& E looked  as pictures i have viewed did.Was very happy with self till final stage what a bummer!

interested

Swim too is in the same boat as you as in, he...
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 06:52:00 PM »
Swim too is in the same boat as you as in, he has no experience when it comes to performing reactions.  Despite this, may I give some advice anyway.  I understand you have been reading for six months but have you been taking advice from the more knowledgeable bees?  Geezmeister has posted repeatedly about the reaction you are trying to perform and the common ideas amoungst all these posts are the use of adequate water and a long reflux. 

Osmium has stated numerous times that you do not want smoke appearing when you mix your reagants because smoke means that Hydriodic gas is escaping the reaction and therefore not reducing your pseudoephedrine.

Take jackholes advice and read the stimulants FAQ.  Make sure you understand what these methods entail and try to understand why certain procedures have to be followed.

From one newbee to another.  Good Luck.

gspotjgc4

Thanks INTERESTED
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 07:09:00 PM »
I appreciate the advice, I am surely greatful for all advice I can get.So correct me if i'm wrong but sounds like I did',t "F" up neccaseraly? Please send me a link or guide to were I need to go and read up some more.Sorry to be such a pain in ass.I am trying to teach self patients and us a long hard struggle...

interested

Stimulants FAQ
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 07:50:00 PM »
Read, read and read again.  Repetition and understanding is key to retaining information.

Post 408293

(Rhodium: "The Stimulants Forum FAQ", Stimulants)

This link is at the top of the stimulants forum.

CharlieBigpotato

correct, counseler
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2004, 08:06:00 PM »
water weight in this experiment ought to bee approx. 80% of the psuedoephedrine weight (not molar weights)

my best dream almost had the opposite of activity; that is, after the initial homogenous mixing had occurred, swim allowed a brief build-up of H2 in his flask; then sealed it.
there was negative pressure for the entire rxn.
funny to bee more worried about a flask collapsing than exploding...but that was the deal.

and one i would highly reccomend.

if i was that sort of guy.
btw, spheres are famously good about not collapsing inward.

i wouldn't bee caught dead doing a dream in a flat bottomed jar or bottle, even though every other aspect of ghetto-chem is near and dear to my goat heart.
a good round , longneck flask will circulate gasses and vapours, and condense same on the neck beefore than even want to escape...

especially within a low-pressure area, such as the one in which my dreams have come true.

a condensor is not needed if nothing needs to bee condensed.

funny about cutting loose of the membrane at the end of the dream...
not only do no odourous gasses escape,

air comes rushing in so fast, i only make a pin-prick!

weird, eh?

gspotjgc4

Thanks Bigpatato
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »
Will check dream and see if all is lost.In retrospect don't think SWIM cleaned mbRP good enough.Matter of fact, after reading Stimulant FAQ more thoroughly I know SWIM didn't.One post stated adding 75%/I2 and 30 or 35% mbRP to mix and starting reaction again.Is this dream a candidate or lost forever?
And, what should one look for in dream to see if it is O.K. as is?Please no flame am trying like hell to have awsome dream.The thread I referred to is only one SWIM could find that pretained to SWIM's actuall situation.May have overlookeed something though.

geezmeister

water?
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 02:27:00 AM »
Gspot-- again, how much water did you start with? If you added enough I2 and the mbrp was good, you should have no iodine left in the flask and the color shouldn't be like tinc. The fluid--after you let things cool down and settle-- should be reddish orangish at the top (assuming it hasn't finished-- clear and golden if it has) and the solids should be burgundy colored. If its dark, and if your balloon did not inflate much at all, your red phos is probably dirty. If you have a question about whether the red phos is good enough, assume it isn't. At this stage of the reaction, you can add more red phosphorous without much risk of by product formation. If you have more. I doubt you need more I2 unless you started way too wet, which I also doubt. Hpe this helps answer your questions.

gspotjgc4

Gracias' Geezmeister
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 02:49:00 PM »
That answered all my questions.Thanks again.