Author Topic: refluxing during L.S.A extraction?  (Read 1950 times)

fnord

refluxing during L.S.A extraction?
« on: August 16, 2003, 06:53:00 PM »
would refluxing powderd H.B.W.R seeds in petroleum ether damage the LSA aslo would it speed up the prosses at all
what tempiture would dammage the L.S.A?

Aurelius

Stability
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 07:43:00 PM »
The stability of the ring structure is much more than most people give it credit for.  If you've got pet. ether, (or hexane) the BP is low enough that a reflux won't damage the product too much.  I'm sure you will lose a variable amount of product, but it should be neglible (keep in mind that you don't have much to begin with though).  bring the temp up to reflux for about 3 -4 minutes and then let it cool back to RT.  Don't heat it much longer than that, just to be on the safe side.

catfish

any heat is bad, ICHO...
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 08:20:00 PM »
F-
SWIY would want to avoid any heat at all, to avoid inversion of the D- compounds to the D-iso compounds.
A little may not do MUCH harm, but as my esteemed colleague pointed out, SWIY doesn't have much to work with.
If a reflux is yearned for, perhaps use a lower-boiling solvent, i.e. SWIC's current favorite, tetrachloroethylene.
Also, note that this solvent DOES NOT contain any free chlorine to ruin the alkaloids, nor does it release any during extraction.
OTC in the USSA (sic) and Canada, it comes in a can with one other ingredient, CO2. Product name sounds like "Steak, lean". Used to clean brake parts. Make sure to get the one with no surfactants...
-cfg