Author Topic: question  (Read 10621 times)

SHORTY

I agree with geez its probably dirty rp
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2003, 06:58:00 AM »

Post 449232 (missing)

(SHORTY: "More on Phosphorus", Stimulants)

The "safety match" is the most familiar pyrotechnic device. It is reliable, and, as its name indicates, safe. It consists of two parts, the paraffin-impregnated splint with a head that constitutes the "first fire" of the device, and a striking strip. The head contains 45-55% KClO3, with a little sulphur and starch, a neutralizer (ZnO or CaCO3), 20-40% of siliceous filler, diatomite and glue. Some heads contain antimony trisulphide so they burn more vigorously. The striking strip is 50% red phosphorus, 5% neutralizer, 4% carbon black, 25% powdered glass for roughness, and 16% binder. Antimony trisulphide is sometimes also in the striking strip. Friction unites the chlorate and the phosphorus, initiating the reaction, which spreads to the fuels in the head, and from there to the splint. None of the components are poisonous or dangerous. A match head could explode if struck with a hammer on a hard surface, however, but this would not be very dangerous. Moisture is the enemy of matches, but the components will recover their activity on drying.

Note the 25% powdered glass that will bee in there no matter how well you clean it.  It won't hinder the rxn but the weight must be adjusted accordingly.  Just a thought.

mickyfinn

yes, it's SWIM and not the reflux
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2003, 11:27:00 AM »
bbob, geez, shorty:

agreed, it's SWIM and not the reflux...don't recall blaming the reflux just wanting to speed up the learning curve and then get back to the reflux once SWIM got the p/p working and identified the area of the dream he didn't have in order.

SWIM plans to dream about one more small reflux and then will not dream about anything less than 20G again. This piddly nano crap has provided flipper the lab skills he needed in order to correctly step through the looking glass now.

This next reflux using 5G starting fred and 5G fresh/clean MBRP will tell the tale. Not sure how long it will take to get that all together but that is the last nano. Will attempt to do as instructed by council of the wise and report back when this has been readied to dream about.

thanks!

LoW_JacK

FUCK MBRP!!!!!! Find a mexican tweeker and...
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2003, 11:34:00 AM »
FUCK MBRP!!!!!! Find a mexican tweeker and spend a few dollars on the LGRP.

Jacked

geez'z is 100% correct
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2003, 12:10:00 AM »
Geez is 100% correct, You will not find success in a push pull when the reflux had problems.. The RP is going to be the first thing to be addressed, Try prefireing a small amount but instead of using H202 just use a small amount of H20 and gently heat the beaker your prefireing in. This should give you an indication of the activity of your Rp.
Shorty that is the best info I've ever seen on matches

djchaos667

Jacked
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2003, 07:57:00 AM »
I feel bad for starting this huge debate. For those who are having problems pulling off a reflux, I doubt that you will have more success with a push pull. Mine was successfull, but that is me. The one great advantage that I can see is time, you will know if you were successfull in hours rather than days. The push pull is more complicated, and defies all principals of organic chemistry, but it works. The decision remains with the cook. Think about the recorses at your disposal read everything you can find on the subject again and again. when you think you have the process down, read it again! Bee safe, follow Warlock's instructions, and take your time, you will have plenty. If reflux is working well for you why try to fix something that isn't broken.
But what do I know, I was never here.......
Chaos ;)

mickyfinn

MBRP to charcoal
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2003, 02:21:00 PM »

The RP is going to be the first thing to be addressed, Try prefireing a small amount but instead of using H202 just use a small amount of H20 and gently heat the beaker your prefireing in. This should give you an indication of the activity of your Rp.

SWIM had 1G left of the old MBRP so he decided to knock out a 1G nano for the last time. (SWIM ducks) Well the MBRP was nice and maroon when it went in and then turned to grey charcoal post reaction after drying. SWIM gave it hot DH20 rinses to clear the honey. If the tone wash returns it to maroon then SWIM will do that prefire test. Otherwise it may be awhile as SWIM is trying to pick up supplies each day to get the magic 60 boxes.