Author Topic: zinc chloride in urushibara  (Read 3632 times)

IOC

zinc chloride in urushibara
« on: July 05, 2004, 12:42:00 PM »
could the truck load of zinc oxide available at pottery shops be converted into the chloride and be used in the urushibara?
any suggestions on the where abouts of the zinc dust that is called for in this reaction?
filing coins is a crime i beleave
cheers

Vitus_Verdegast

zinc dust
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 01:15:00 PM »
Zinc chloride can not be used for preparing Urushibara nickel!

Pottery stores should be able to order zinc powder/dust for you.

I have no idea what it's used for though.

Scottydog

Zinc Pellets
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 01:21:00 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that Zinc pellets are used to control moss on flat roofs.

IOC

elemental zinc
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 05:27:00 AM »
OK, is it possible to get the oxide back to zinc dust?

Rhodium

Zn
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 08:45:00 AM »
Not in any reasonable fashion. Zinc dust is cheap.

Nicodem

Is electrolysis reasonable?
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 12:32:00 PM »
I think a simple electrolysis would bee reasonable enough even for a newbee. After all you need nothing but water, ZnCl2, a lead (or graphite) and copper electrode and an electricity addapter (the copper is for the katode, the - polarity!).

see

Post 490034

(Nicodem: "The short “use the overvoltage” FAQ", Serious Chemistry)

IOC

urushibara
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the feed back guys, as i've been told zinc is cheap but apart from pottery suppliers what or where would i go to purchase the zinc dust apart from chem supplies?

Have ample starting material and am looking at the following procedure as it suits the OTC type operation!!

C6H5CHO + CH3CH2COCH3 + HCl(g) ---> C6H5CH=C(COCH3)CH3

then the Baeyer-Villiger oxidation
C6H5CH=C(COCH3)CH3 + RCO3H ----> C6H5CH=C(OCOCH3)CH3
(wish i could get hold of nitrobenzene selenic acid) for the much better yeild!!!

Rhodium has there been any progress on this procedure?

Then the urushibara (ala antoncho via Direct Zn-Ni amination of ketones in 70% yield, who needs hydroxalamine) re post No 470154

Cheers one more time cowboys :-)

Rhodium

Progress how?
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 03:22:00 PM »
Rhodium has there been any progress on this procedure?

I have posted my exhaustive literature search on the subject in the original thread, and as you can read in it the yields won't ever be stellar due to the unavoidable side-reaction where the alkene function becomes epoxidized in addition to the desired baeyer-villiger oxidation. We will have to make do with a 30-40% overall yield, but thankfully I found a few references where MEK/benzaldehyde is condensed in close to quantitative yield.