The Hive > Chemicals & Equipment

500ml 3-neck flask uses?

(1/4) > >>

LoW_JacK:
What exact role does the 500ml 3-neck flask play in  reactions of importance either illicit or legitimate.

I just had to get this 3-neck flask, just because I payed $1.59 + 6.99 shipping for it and it is a cute little piece of craftmanship. But aside from a friggin' waterbong, what are these 3-neckers used for extensively. Cuzz thats all I'm using it for right now. But not why I bought it. 19/22 is exactly the size of the $1.00 1000ml volumeric flask I also got ebay style.  So help a mofuggy out?

I know that a stirbar and magnetic stirrer are usually used with them, but why are they used and in what way that makes LE officials look at them like they've got some clandestine connection and thats all they would ever think when seeing a 3-neck flask while on duty or in a search.

It hit killer as fuck for a water bong, but I want to use it for making some kind of ghetto gumbo. Ya'dig?

biotechdude:
similar multi neck flasks are usually used for small reactions requiring multiple probes eg temp/pH

In a clandestine setting, you could use the centre neck for a reflux column, the side arm fitted with a stopper/thermometer, and the other arm could be stoppered and used to add reagents.  Then use for distillation of the end product.

Seems like a nice LWR setup...

moo:
In one neck you put a condenser, in one neck you put an addition funnel and in the middle neck you put a mechanical stirrer. Why? Well, some reactions need such a setup. Sometimes you might want to stopper one of the necks so that you can take samples from the reaction mixture or add portions of some reagent in a powdered form.

The extra necks aren't that useful if you want only to reflux something on a mag stirrer. But there is more to chemistry than RP/I and LWR. ;)

ChemoSabe:
They're decent for traditional gassing setups where you drip sulphuric onto HCl saturated NaCl with an addition or sep funnel. If you've got any old version of Fester's SOMM there should be a simple diagram for it in there. Are all 3 necks 19/22?

Swim's buddy has a 4 necker with 3 24/40's and a central 34/45. He'd like to get one of those eurostyle three necked flat bottoms.

Here's a quite crude sketch of how a 3 necker might be used in a traditional gassing rig.

LoW_JacK:
Are all 3 necks 19/22?

--- End quote ---

Yep! I sure as hell aint gonna use it as a gasser. I mandate all gassing equipment must be disposable after each use. That is if I ever was to gas anything that was in need of dry hcl gas. ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version