Author Topic: Looking for direction, please, thank you kindly  (Read 3466 times)

Straasha

Looking for direction, please, thank you kindly
« on: October 08, 2004, 12:26:00 AM »
I'm straasha (as you can see in the margine there) and i'm from Ireland. Well, whats the story, how's things?

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, it will probably bee my last post because, you see, i dont have the internet in my home and i'm paying by the minute as we speek (and money, like a rabbits hole as it stares at a fox 2 inches from its face, is tight).
What i would like to ask the multitude of bees here gathered, as it is a hive, and the only natural place for bees to gather (overt or clandestine as the bees might be), What i would like to ask is if any bee (or body) could provide me with a reading list to ascend from the zero point of chemichal knowledge i find myself wallowing in to the hight of say.... amphetamine sytesis with view to greater things. The sort of reading lists i whose entries i could procure for myself in libraries universities or, dare i say it, bookSHOPS (it is my blief that knowledge should be freed from pride, prejudice and also cost, although pride and prejudice can be argued to be some form of knowledge, cost is most definately not, but i digress).

Now, I'm not one for speeches but i must say, nay, type! that any advice will be appreciated and taken on board (unless it has to do with my hair-cut with is something i am not willing to compromise!) and that whomever chooses to answer this post with the best intentions has my undying gratitude in advance (what is the average age span for gratitude? how long IS an age?) and if youre ever by these parts buying you a pint and some other recreational-chemical-delivery-system (RCDS for short, as i do so love brevity) would be the LEAST i could do.

As for the "fucking search engine", after several attempts, that resulted in me growing more and more confounded untill eventually i threw the monitor at the cafe attendant and bludgeoned an old lady with a keyboard. (charges pending, my lawyers say i should plead insanity, i hide behind my right to remain silent, as is my style) I dedided that maybe there were no entries that would enlighten me on my quest, i never for a second thought it might be my ineptitude that held me back.

In closing, let me say that although common sense is what led us to bleive that the world was flat, this is only the fist lie it told us, and quite frankly nothing is true and evertything is allowe and by the same coin
(equally true for those unfamiliar with this expression, or coinage although i cannot begin to comprehend how someone unfamiliar with coinage might be familiar with this expression, nevertheless my use of the word "or" implies such a possibility) everything is true and everything is permitted.

I hope this post proves to be mildly amusing (i woudnt want to overstimulate you) and that you can honestly say a post with these many parenthesis is more unique than rare.

Yours sincerely,
Grandfaloon of the Enerald Isle (EI),
Straasha

Now count spelling and gramatical errors and mark me out of ten.

biffman

Personally, I'd give you an 8.35
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 03:38:00 AM »
I will leave it (hopefully) to other bee respondents to fulfill your query for an educational primer for your valiant quest.  (Vogel's possibly, starting from scratch??)
  Although I have no authority here (or anywhere for that matter) I hereby nominate you for consideration in the category of "Best First Post".
  (In the Newbee category of all places!)

C_ka

Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 09:41:00 AM »
Books, books, books......

All depends on how much science and chem you did in school. If you have done to Univesity Entrence standered,

my list,

THIKaL
PIHKaL (These two are mainly intrest books)
Organic chem lab survivle manuel - James W. Zubick
Any first year level Organic Chem books at the Uni libary.

There are not many self teaching books that will do what you want, (None that i know of anyway),
There is a LOT of info to learn if you truely have Zero chem knowldge and  IMHO you wont get far without a teacher.

Get Enroled In A University Chemistry Course for Beginners!

That will be the best way to get started.

You can make a cake by the directions on the packet, but if you want to be a Baker, you must learn to be a Chef.