Author Topic: wiring problem w/refridgerator compressor  (Read 2293 times)

heavenadisaster

wiring problem w/refridgerator compressor
« on: September 02, 2003, 02:02:00 AM »
I found a small unit with R134a (tetrafluoroethane) refrigerant on a trash pile.  After clipping the copper tube the gas drained followed by pooling lubricant.

My problem has been with bypassing the thermostat (which I left on pile).  There are three unlabeled pins on the compressor in a triangle.  I left the black coming right off the plug going to one, and put the white on the pin where a white came back from the thermostat.  The ground I left grounded to the chassis.  Maybe the ground should go on the third pin?

I hoping that this makes enough sense that it will be apparent to someone with experience doing this.

Oh, and it wasn’t on the pile because the compressor was broken; first thing I did was plug it in.

to anyone who hasn't heard of this previously can try starting where I did:

Post 429241

(BillyBoy: "Refrigerator vacuum pump links", Chemicals & Equipment)

calcium

starter circuit?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 02:24:00 PM »
Once upon a time I had an old fridge pump that needed momentary power to a starter circuit to get enough power to get going. If your pump just hums but wont start, you may need to apply power to one of those three contacts to get it running. Most pumps these days use capacitors to build up and discharge that initial power boost, mine was old but it worked fine. Just my two cents...

ScuzZ

Power Supply
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 02:39:00 PM »
Swims not sure if you're an Ozbee or not, but here's the diagram for the Australian Power Supply..

If you want to read more about it, this is the link:

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/powerplug.htm

bigdumbnut

Starting Capacitor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 04:04:00 PM »
What Calcium was refering to was a starting capacitor.It provides an extra kick to start the compressor motor. If you can go back to your trash pile look for it in the wiring connected to the motor. It'll be cylindrical in shape most likely. All capacitors are not the same so it'll need to be sized for that motor. If you're wiring straight from a plug the hot goes to 1 pin the neutral to 1 pin and the capacitor between hot and the 3rd pin. The ground is attached to the compressor frame.