Author Topic: Ain't got it! Pawn it!  (Read 5473 times)

Goodtimes

Ain't got it! Pawn it!
« on: December 13, 2001, 06:34:00 AM »
Haven't seen it mentioned here before, although I am sure it has been.  A friend noticed a not so hard to find but expensive item that can be aquired reasonablly.  Balances!!

He travels a lot, and takes his time looking at various pawn shops for good buys.  He informed me that you would not believe how many balances that can be found..  He recently stated that he saw a "professional balance" that measured in mg's for $150!!  Fuck, that beats some of those $500 dollar prices for nice balances....

Any idea how to check the accuracy of such balances easily??  Besides a weight set smartass.. 

Heard the weight of a standard nickle, but don't remember and lazyyyy.....

Have a Goodtimetm

"The gods are too fond of a joke."  (Aristotle)

PoohBear4Ever

Re: Ain't got it! Pawn it!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2001, 07:13:00 AM »

http://www.discoverabroad.com/US/LivingAbroad/money/USCoinage.htm

"Nickel:
Value: Five cents
Pictures on both side of the coins:  Jefferson and Monticello
Standard weight: 5.0 grams 
Standard diameter: 0.835 in. or 21.21 mm 
Thickness: 1.95 mm 
Edge: Smooth"

Exactly five grams!  :)

PB

It's not at the bottom, and it's not at the top, but this is the stair where I always stop.

b159510

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2001, 07:56:00 AM »
So, you're telling us that balances can be found in pawn shops? Your pXXXXXs must be real ****** proud of you.

:-[  ok, just kidding. thanks for the tip. way to be
on the lookout. good job agent 000.

Back to the Primitive

Chromic

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2001, 08:03:00 AM »
And seeing as our Canadian currency is worth less (worthless?), it also weighs less...  nickel weighs in at only 4.64g (quarter 5.06g, loonie 6.88g, dime 2.06g, penny 2.49g, bills 1.05g). (all measured with an analytical balance, weights usually varied +-10mg, so these are the averages)

cheeseboy

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2001, 10:48:00 PM »
And a gram of weed at "Pigeon Park" weighs .6gm or less. LOL

May The Source Bee With Yous

Aurelius

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2001, 01:22:00 AM »
hey cheesie, where you been?  haven't heard from you much.  been busy?

BenWiFFen

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2001, 02:51:00 AM »
I've seen good deals at Ebay. Swim has had many scales in the past. A centogram or quad beam is nice for the gnats ass. A platform pocket scale can bee had for 50$. The problem with balance type become obvouse very quick.There way to slow and large. And they don't work well after being exposed to certain acidic atmospheres.The tare feature is very handy on the small ones. US five cent can weigh from 4.88 to 5.2 but 5.00 is what a triple beam will say. US paper bills are 1 gram. Whatever you don't get a triple beam unless your doing mega batches or weed.

Gear Driven

Goodtimes

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2001, 05:41:00 AM »
I was not reffering to basic triple beams that can be had at your local head shop or whatever...  I was refering to analytical type of balances... 

The good ones/.........  :P

"The gods are too fond of a joke."  (Aristotle)