Author Topic: phenylalanine > amphetamine via LAH and HI/RP  (Read 9291 times)

Glacial_Refluxer

phenylalanine > amphetamine via LAH and HI/RP
« on: August 24, 2003, 09:30:00 AM »

isopropylcumshot

wow !
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 08:48:00 PM »
phenylalanine is cheap and way redilly available
online bottles:
dlpa - D,L-Phenylalanine - 100 Capsules/500 mg each  $22.95

good work dude
cant wait to hear more !

does anyone think that Phenylalanine caould have a sensable route to PPA ?

Xavl2

I might be totally off track, but the way I...
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 01:32:00 AM »
I might be totally off track, but the way I understand the stated reaction works is by first reducing the carbonyl group COOH in D-phenylalanine to CH2O (phenylalinol ?) using LAH and then further reducing CH2O by using HI in much the same way meth is made from ephedrine ridding the molecule of the OH group on a carbon.

I wonder how much harder or easier it is to reduce the CH2O on the former carbonyl group then it is to reduce the CH2O on an ephedrine molecule. If it is easier, a phos compound might be entirelly unneccessary since HI all is needed is HI.

Also is phenylalinol harmful in any way? The end product is no doubt likelly to contain some amounts of it.

Xavl2

Re: Reactivity and Incompatibility: Lithium...
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 01:48:00 AM »

Reactivity and Incompatibility: Lithium aluminum hydride reacts violently with water, acids, oxidizers, alcohols, and many oxygenated organic compounds, including, in particular, peroxides, hydroperoxides, and peracids. LAH reacts with many metal halides to produce metal hydride products, which are flammable and toxic.

Just found this somewhere on the web. Glacial_Refluxer: did it react with your ethyl alcohol?

Osmium

> Swim then disolved 15 grams of LAH into...
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 08:58:00 AM »
> Swim then disolved 15 grams of LAH into 200ml anhydrous ethyl alcohol,

No you did not.
Sounds like you made this up to get other people's opinions about it.

isopropylcumshot

while on the topic of phenylalanine...
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 04:25:00 PM »
is "alpha-Methyl-3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine" the same as the phenylalanine that is available OTC ?

and if so...
has anyone considered the phenylalanine route to P2P ?

Degradation of alpha-Methyl-3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/p2p.strecker.html

Xavl2

Good idea
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2003, 06:49:00 PM »
Regardless of wheather the original poster has or hasn't done the synth, the idea is very good.

I have another idea along the same lines. Since LAH is not listed, we can assume that it can be used in abundance.

1. Make HI using any of the available methods (KI+H3PO4 is my preferred way)
2. Replace the OH in the COOH in phenylalanine with I by reflux of phenylalanine in HI with NO phos compound.
3. Reduce the carbonyl O and the I on the carbon in question with LAH in one step.
4. Note that this procedure does NOT require the elusive for some phosphorus compound to regenerate HI because HI by itself is sufficient to replace OH with I. LAH will gladly reduce the iodide as well as the carbonyl.

Now, seeing that DL-phenylalanine is 100% OTC and can be picked up from any health food store, I think this idea is worth investigating. I have personally never reduced anything with LAH so I wouldn't have a clue how the prosedure would go.

Now, if amphetamine can be produced this easily, it doesn't take much to produce meth from the amphetamine using formaldehyde and reducing with LAH again.

Any comments, ideas, flames?

zorohydride

I concur and agree
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2003, 08:02:00 PM »
There is no way in hell you are gonna toss LAH into IPA with a free amino acid and not look like wiley coyote after using an acme napalm bomb. Osmium is totally correct I thinx in both parts; no way Jose on the LAH in IPA without the subsequent sound of FOOOM and KABOOM and on the second part of getting a conversation going about alternate procedure. So here it is, the moment you've all be waiting for. PHE is readily available, and so is blocked PHE such as FMOC-l-PHE or BOC-L-PHE; but you can also acquire them as esters, too. Today's cooking hint is to NOT drop a free organic acid into a flammable solvent with a potent reducing agent or you will see a pyrophoric liberation of hydrogen! This is why I recommend the ester. Now you can take one mole of the ester and 3 moles [~900 mL] of Vitride, which is NaAlH2-Bis-Methoxyethoxy in Toluene and get after 1 hour of reflux some N-Methyl-L-PHE-ol. This should be legal and may have some activity. Above, there was a reference to L-DOPA, very nice. Now N-Protect the L-DOPA and fill in the 3,4-Dihydroxy with a methylene bridge and then do the reduction. Just thought I would steer this discussion in a different direction

Xavl2

Pardon my ignorance but wtf is FMOC-l-PHE or...
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 09:10:00 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but wtf is FMOC-l-PHE or BOC-L-PHE?

Which esters are available? Wtf is "Vitride, which is NaAlH2-Bis-Methoxyethoxy"?

What is wrong with reducing phenylalanine with LAH? The only REAL problem with the original post was the addition of LAH to ethanol (and not IPA) as it will react violently.

Now N-Protect the L-DOPA and fill in the 3,4-Dihydroxy with a methylene bridge and then do the reduction.

Nice idea about making MDA but can you explain this in more detail? eg. How to replace two hydroxy groups with methylenedioxy ring?

zorohydride

Being that you asked
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2003, 08:39:00 AM »
I got a lot of questions here so let's approach them one at a time. First you ask WTF is FMOC-L-PHE, well that is the N-Flourenylmethoxycarbonyl carbamate of L-Phenylalanine [PHE] and BOC is the tert-Butoxcarbonyl-N carbamate analog of L-PHE. Being that we were discussing Phenylalanine, I thought we would know what the abbreviations meant and that we all knew what the commercially available blocked amino acids were. By the way, amino alcohols are also commercially available.

Amino acids are commercially available as the N Protected with FMOC, a base labile gruop, or with BOC, an acid labile group, depending upon your synthesis strategy and can be available by the ton for pharma synthesis. One such example would be PHE-methyl ester for aspartame production. I would strongly, no I would S-T-R-O-N-G-L-Y suggest using an N blocked ester with LAH because the reduction is smoother, does not Xpose LAH to a free acid [FOOM & KABOOM], plus the reduction of an N-Protected carbamate will yield an N-METHYL Amine... What a bonus! I have used LAH and it makes me nervous as hell due to its pyrophoric nature and large quantites can be explosive. That is why I recommend VITRIDE, a form of Sodium Aluminum Hydride that is reacted with two moles of Methoxyethanol and soluble in Toluene. It has 1/2 the reduction capabilities of LAH and can be easily handled in 5 gallon containers at 1 mole in 300 mL of liquid; it is also commercially available. It hydrolyses easily to form a paste and a Toluene layer that you pour off with your product in the solvent.
Finally I proposed a synthesis being half asleep at the time [ not tweaking here] about a starting material called L-DOPA aka 3,4-Dihydroxy-Phenylalanine. Search my other posts for a prep to N-BOC an amine, and the literature reference, to yield BOC-N-L-DOPA. Briefly, one would dissolve LDOPA in H2O to pH 10, 1 Molar, and add 1.1 Mole of Ditertbutyldicarbonate in MeCl2 with rapid stirring for 2-4 hr. Sep of MeCl2 and acidfy with citric acid to a pH of ~4 to yield the N-Protected carbamate. The Carbamate of 3,4 Dihydroxy can now be reacted with MeBr2 via one of Rhodiums preps to yield 3,4 Methylenedioxy-L-PHE. Again, I am proposing a synthesis that I have not actually done, but I have prepared tons of Blocked amino acids and alcohols for other purposes. Now reduce the above methylenedioxy compund with ZnBH4 to the alcohol. The ZnBH4 is here, UTFSE for a PDF on that little jewel to reduce amino acids to alcohols. With the reduction of the N-Blocked-L-DOPA Methylenedioxy compound, you should arrive with the N-Methylamino alcohol analog of 3,4-Methylenedioxy-L-Phenylalanol. I have done RDXN's on N-Blocked amino acid esters with Vitride and absolutely got 75+% yields of n-methyl amino alcohol, but not exactly with L-DOPA. Remember, when you toss a free organic acid on top of LAH or Vitride, or any other reducing agent, you lose Hydrogen right away as an acid-base RXN, so use the ester for a softer, more high yeild RXN. Who knows what kind of activity that 3,4 MD-L-PHE-ol might have as there is no literature reference to it. I cant get into more detail at this moment because I have to go, but I just wanted to save this thread by throwing in some chemistry ideas and save someones face from collecting flask parts.

PS: Just ask nicely, I'll be more than happy to elaborate.

java

RE: BOC-Protected amino alcohols
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2003, 10:08:00 AM »
zorohydride:
 Ok so if someone gets the commercially available amino acid alcohol that is BOC protected , now you apply the,..

Post 359715 (missing)

(WizardX: "Hydrogenation/Reduction of Ephedrine.", Stimulants)
method of reducing the OH group via esterification with Pd/Barium Sulphate catalyst with some initiator , Perchloric acid, and hydrogenate. How will the product be separated from the BOC, an acid labile group, or will it be precipitated out  with the Perchloric acid, when the solution is basified  prior to gasing.....java

Edit (by java,),\..... At last I've often wondered if the post

Post 368128 (missing)

(Rhodium: "Novel CTH reduction of (pseudo)ephedrine to meth", Stimulants)
could be applied to this amino alcohol and get the desired results , since it's better and uses water for hydrogenation with Pd.

Xavl2

zorohydride: cheers for that.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2003, 06:22:00 PM »
zorohydride: cheers for that. lots of food for thought in that post.

zorohydride

It wont work at all.....
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2003, 07:36:00 PM »
Hello Java;

Those RDXN RXN's are too acidic and the BOC-L- Amino Acid will just effervesce back to the amino acid. I read your REDN and they work for EFFY b/c the -OH is a benzylic that will reduce and replace as an acetate or perchlorate with H2/Pd on C. If you get your hands on a BOC-Amino alcohol, I would recommend forming the mesylate via the procedure of

Post 433077

(Aurelius: "Methanesulfonate esters JOC 35(9), 3195-6 (1970)", Methods Discourse)

There is an infamous paper out there that describes a procedure from L-PHE to methamphetamine, but we dont keep that around here for obvious reasons! Here the protected alcohol is dissolved in MeCl2 with 2 moles of Triethylamine and MeSO2Cl to form the ester. According to the paper, it can be washed and the ester will remain in MeCL2. If I were goona reduce something, I would add the MeCl2 soln to Toluene and fractionally distill off the MeCl2 to get the Mesylate ester in toluene. Then I would go with Vitride, aka Red-Al [utfse for a strontium review] and get the n-methyl amino alkane [where the alcohol used to be]. Here's another tried a true tip, take an aliquot from the MeCl2 mesylate soln and place it on a pre-weighed watch glass to get your yield of ester so that you know how much reducing agent to add. Thanks for the kudo Xav

zorohydride

Heres a Strontium Referemce
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2003, 03:46:00 AM »

ahgreich

Why not NaBH4/I ?
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2003, 06:27:00 PM »
According to this, phenylalanine in THF with NaBH4 and I will result in only the amino alcohol. Why not just evap the THF after the alcohol is formed, then reduce the amino alcohol to amphetamine with rp/i,HI/rp or hypo/i?

[url]http://https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/borohydride-iodine.pdf

java

Re: Phenylalanine to amphetamine
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2003, 09:28:00 PM »
Here are a few  threads that might be of interest......java

Post 397376 (missing)

(foxy2: "phenylalanine alcohol can bee reduced with...", Stimulants)

Post 428493 (missing)

(java: "Re: Poss amph from phenylalanine ethyl ester", Stimulants)

Post 410824 (missing)

(java: "RE: pHenylalanine to amphetamine", Stimulants)

mickyfinn

another file damaged error message
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2003, 10:52:00 PM »
another "file damaged" error message attempting to access this link as well:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/borohydride-iodine.pdf

Is it me or is this occuring to other bees as well?

java

Re: Damaged link....
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2003, 06:03:00 AM »
Briefly....it's your end having problems , I've tried it twice and both times the pdf file downloaded .....java

halfkast

borohydride
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2003, 04:14:00 PM »
the difficulty procuring the amino alcohol makes the whole pursuit exceed it's worth, in any important relevant unit of measure ya like, doesn't it?

The ester sounds easier to make, but the references aren't enough to count on after getting it.

right?

Rhodium

Phenylalanine to phenylalaninol is not hard...
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2003, 11:44:00 AM »
Where is the difficulty in reducing phenylalanine with sodium borohydride (with a dash of iodine or sulfuric acid added)?

It is not much more than mix, stir and work up in my opinion...

halfkast

I was thinking more
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2003, 02:52:00 PM »
along the lines of the difficulty obtaining the sodium borohydride

I know what happened now looking at it...I was supposed to file it in the "expensive" slot in my mind but it got misplaced. hehe that do?

Ill research...