Author Topic: Hydrogen Cyanide Antidotes  (Read 2030 times)

Vaaguh

Hydrogen Cyanide Antidotes
« on: October 01, 2003, 09:03:00 AM »
Is there a difference in effectiveness between the antidotes for Hydrogen Cyanide poisoning?

From what i could find is that the following antidotes can be used, i wonder which one would be the most effective:

* Nitrite perles
* Intravenous infusions of Sodium Nitrite
* Sodium Thiosulfate
* The injection of Dicobalt edetate followed by a Hypertonic Dextrose solution,
* Large doses of hydroxocobalamin (vitamin b12)
* Amyl Nitrate

Barium

It depends
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 10:00:00 AM »
The efficiency of a inhalant is somewhat decreased if the victim has stopped breathing. A iv antidote is recommended then. Check a textbook in emergency medicine for the recommendations. Any compound which quickly forms a complex with the cyanide ion is good.

Amyl nitrite or any other alkyl nitrite, not the nitrates (very important) is efficient and should always be within reach when working with cyanides

Bandil

Vaaguh> You know that you should always...
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 03:21:00 PM »
Vaaguh>
You know that you should always carry around a bottle of amylnitrite on you! It is very important to do this at all times. You never know when you'll get into contact with some cyanide  8)

Vaaguh

Amyl Nitrite it is
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 05:14:00 PM »
Ok i will get myself a nice bottle of "hot mens love", the effectiveness/fun ratio should balance this out pretty nice.

I kinda expected that amyl nitrite wasnt the most effective antidote but then ifone would see how Bandil his soul is healed evertime he takes his favorite medicine, heĀ  prob could live in a cyanide cloud (kinda like Obelix thing except the magic strenght potion would be replaced for amyl nitrite) :P

fanofshulgin

Advised not to administer antidote.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2003, 12:32:00 AM »
SWIM knew of a workplace in which cyanides were used frequently, where the official line as advised in the safety manual was NOT to administer any antidote where the victim was still breathing, and to get that person to hospital ASAP (with phonecall notice to the emergency room that a cyanide poison victim was in transit).

fanofshulgin