Author Topic: Researching, journals, professional testing.  (Read 2036 times)

halfkast

Researching, journals, professional testing.
« on: July 24, 2003, 07:17:00 PM »
When I read posts in the higher forums, you are constantly discussing and requiring various references and journals. Some in other languages.

How does one gain access to a specific journal (or collection of..?) ?

Are there free journals?

Are there journals you pay to have access to?

Are there journals you need to have a specific academic accreditation to gain access to?

Are journals nicely organised and easy to retreive information from? (What do journals look like=)

What is required of a person to send a test sample to bee analysed using chromatographies and other advanced techniques requiring ultra-expensive equipment?

Actually now looking, the abbreviation page is amazing, someone has done such a beautiful job.
JCS Journal of the Royal Chemical Society.

Rhodium

What journals look like
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 05:09:00 AM »
Most journals are only available at University Libraries, but some are available online, and an even smaller portion is available online for free, see this thread for links:

Post 363228

(Rhodium: "Free Online Chemistry & Medicinal Journals", Novel Discourse)

Are there journals you need to have a specific academic accreditation to gain access to?

Some journals are only available to Law Enforcement officials, like Journal of Clandestine Laboratory Investigating Chemists Association - This journal is somewhat of an holy grail to us, as you can see from the following abstracts:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/clic.html

Are journals nicely organised and easy to retreive information from? (What do journals look like=)

Yes usually, they look like thick magazines, and the older volumes are usually bound into books of about 1000-2000 pages each.

halfkast

Thanks Rhodium! That's what I wanted to know.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 03:00:00 AM »
Thanks Rhodium! That's what I wanted to know.
mmm frisky uni girls (only the ones wearing skirts) and glorious libraries, yes please.  8)
A degree or three would bee nice too.  :(

Reading the CLIC journal was just amazing... Just powerful powerful stuff, it floored me. Excellent Rhodi.