Author Topic: Selection of Solvents  (Read 1574 times)

aleph

Selection of Solvents
« on: September 14, 2003, 10:48:00 AM »
Rhodium's (thanks for all the guidance) "The Peracid Oxidation of Isosafrole: A Review" document, under the Buffered Performic Acid Oxidation, DCM is used though most of the process.  Toward the end, ethyl ether is used for an extraction.  Would DCM work as well here, or is ethyl ether necessary?  Also, is there a point in this procedure at which the bisulfite method could be used to isolate the MDP2P?

Rhodium

It will work, but may give less purity or yield
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 05:48:00 PM »
It would 'work' but you will co-extract a lot more impurities by using DCM rather than ether (For details, see

Post 453146 (missing)

(Rhodium: "Factors influencing choice of solvent", Newbee Forum)
).

Having more impurities in the crude extract will mean that you risk a lower yield of MDP2P after distillation, as you will either need to distill twice or cut away a larger part of you distillate as forerun and postrun to achieve an acceptable purity of your MDP2P, compared to if you had less impurities in the crude extract to begin with.

aleph

Glad I asked
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 02:11:00 PM »
Thanks again for the guidance.  Spouse has been concerned ever since soul-bee bought Everclear, anyway.  As alcohol is a tissue irritant, I suppose I can see why Everclear could be considered rot-gut.  But then again what acoholic beverage isn't?  --Oh yeah, Mai-Tai with a shot of malibu floated on top.
Thanks.  I struggle now, but laugh and become enlightened last....
btw, i am dreaming of butyl alcohol recrystalization of methylamine with activated charcoal.  gotta go. don't want to leave dreaming unattended too long - lucid dreams are best.  Thanks