Author Topic: Flouro Compounds  (Read 3679 times)

Alphabeta121

Flouro Compounds
« on: August 02, 2000, 02:27:00 AM »
This isn't really kitchen chem compatable, but I'm wondering about flourination of desirable compounds, yeilding things like  DO(triflouromethyl),
2C-(triflouromethyl),  and 3,5 dimethoxy 4- triflouromethyl phenethylamine and phenisopropyl amine.
for 2C-TF would one could a vilsmeyer rxn be performed on 2,5 dimethoxy 1 TFM benzene?  Or would the TFM group be too electron withdrawing.  Or perhaps start with 2 TFM hydroquinone in a basic solution, and do an ortho formylation, then methylate.  I've only seen two halogenation reactions, replacement of halogen by KF/ 18- Crown-6 ether, and replacement of a diazonium salt by flouboric acid.  Neither of those seem very applicable.  Any help or even interest in this topic?

try www.flourosolutions.com and ask the from a business account.

alphabeta121

Alphabeta121

Re: Flouro Compounds
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2000, 06:59:00 AM »
have the hive's world famous geniuses all died?

Rhodium

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2000, 10:38:00 PM »
I have tried a knoevenagel reaction with trifluoromethylbenzaldehyde. The yield was dismal in several attempts, and the starting aldehyde very expensive.

http://rhodium.lycaeum.org

Alphabeta121

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2000, 05:46:00 AM »
boner, so I guess that leaves a substituted acetonitrile reduction ala G_Pig?  Sounds alright to me, but its the synthesis of the aldehyde that I'm interested in.