Author Topic: FB flasks be damned to the darkest pits of hell!  (Read 1500 times)

Antibody2

FB flasks be damned to the darkest pits of hell!
« on: November 24, 2003, 01:33:00 AM »
Not only are the worthless things useless for any vacuum applications they are dangerous as hell also. A large rxn involving a KOH suspension at high heat, happened to allow some KOH to collect at the edge of the flat bottom. The rxn was so dark this was not apparent to the chemist and so it was left there to accumulate an even bigger pile of KOH which eventually fused with the heat and ate a hole CLEAN THROUGH THE FUCKING FLASK!!!!!

as far as AB2 is concerned the only thing they are good for is that tinkle tinkle sound the broken peices make in a garbage can.

>:( as hell!

bio

FBBF useless for any vacuum applications
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 04:48:00 AM »

abolt

Used them for as long as I can remember.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 06:49:00 AM »
Used them for as long as I can remember. Haven't had a problem yet@ max 250degrees 1mm vacuum.

Do you have a will made out?

Organikum

use SCHOTT glassware antibody2
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 11:07:00 PM »
dont be such a cheapo.

thats no source as this manufacturer dont sells to individuals - you have to find an distributor anyways.....

quality matters.
also I wouldnt try what bio told with some cheapo pyrex/chinese/simax etc glass, I would have no problem at all if using a - new - SCHOTT-FB-flask. 
But thats based on my personal experience and opinion only.

bio

When subjecting a FB or any "high ...
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 12:16:00 AM »
When subjecting a FB or any "high quality" flask of any sort to higher temps under vacuum it is essential to examine them very carefully. I use a magnifying glass, one of those 4 inch dia types,  to look for imperfections. Scratches well.......doomed most likely. Flasks right out of the box are often rejected  when used for this purpose.

I'm sorry if anyone was misled but it seems Organikum has the idea here.

Antibody2

did i mention it was a brand new flask, hmpfff
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 04:11:00 AM »
did i mention it was a brand new flask, hmpfff

actually organinikum, the design flaw is the flat bottom that allows sediment to collect, it wouldn't have happened using a rb flask. so it wasn't a question of my being cheap, more a question of too lazy to heat a rb flask requiring an oil bath or mantle.

but i'll check these schott things out anyways, thanks

livid

If you can find schotts glass that is made in...
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 09:17:00 PM »
If you can find schotts glass that is made in germany, it is better than schotts made in oz. They are both good. Swim has put a FB 2 liter made in germany through hell