Author Topic: Glassware and Safety  (Read 4220 times)

nomad622

Glassware and Safety
« on: June 10, 2002, 08:00:00 PM »
I realize that this may seem simple to some.  But I am a beginning chemist with safety in mind.  I am purchasing glassware, and was planning on getting all flatbottom flasks.  However I was told by someone the problem with the flatbottom flasks is the risk of them imploding when applying a strong vacuum.  If that is the case would you use a heating mantle, or what would you reccommend.  Thanks

We need to be more nomadic.  I nomad at you...you nomad at me.

acid_egg

Roundbottoms only if you are going to vacuum.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2002, 08:31:00 PM »
Roundbottoms only if you are going to vacuum.Mantle or oilbath depending on the procedure you're doing.

(rated as:eggsellent)

chem_123

how strong a vacuum
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2002, 08:35:00 PM »
if it's a really good oil vacuum pump, then yes, the fbf will implode and imbed glass in your face if you're close enough (watching the reaction in amazement), otherwise, if it's just an aspirator, SWIM's found that fbf's are okay (depending on the wall thickness).

Why?

nomad622

As I said, I am a beginning chemist, and am ...
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2002, 09:02:00 PM »
As I said, I am a beginning chemist, and am learning from a variety of sources.  Suppose I decide to use an oil less diaphragm pump that pulls about 29" of Hg.  Will the flat bottom work.  I would love to be able to use a magnetic stirrer/ hot plate in one.  Thanks for the reply.

starlight

the answers to your questions can be found in the ...
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2002, 09:29:00 PM »
the answers to your questions can be found in the thread entitled "flat versus round bottom flasks" in the aquisition forum (starting with

Post 89079 (missing)

(bliss: "flat versus round bottom flasks", Chemicals & Equipment)
). Sorry I can't link the post in - i cannot use javascript with my browsing arrangement and don't know the commands to link posts in manually.

have a look at the posts in the above thread by Osmium - he shows why a FBF should not be used even with aspirator vacuum.

./

nomad622

Thanks so much for telling me about the round ...
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2002, 12:10:00 AM »
Thanks so much for telling me about the round bottom versus flat bottom flasks.  It has answered  my question, helped me to ensure that I create as safe an environment as possible.  Thanks again. 

greeter

Round bottom flasks!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2002, 02:01:00 AM »
Flat bottom flasks are great for some reactions, just not for vacuum distillation.  Swim distills dcm all the time in a flat bottom flask, but then he does it with no vacuum because the boiling point of DCM is so low.  Get a distillation kit from a glassware supplier with a 1L round bottom flask and a 500ml round bottom flask.  The 1L flask will fit comfortably in a 1.5Qt stainless steel bowl (clamped in of course, not actually touching the bowl), and adding about 20fl. oz. of peanut oil will submerge the flask about 3/4 of the way.  Put this on your hot plate/stirrer and you've got an excellent compact oil bath which is perfect for distilling whatever you need.  Don't forget to get an egg-shaped stir bar!

A watched pot will indeed boil.

nomad622

I have actually decided on the contrary, and I am ...
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2002, 07:27:00 AM »
I have actually decided on the contrary, and I am going to just go with the round bottom, and heating mantle, because I plan on doing a bunch of vacuum distillation.  Now my question is how do you get the stirring mechanism into the picture since they aren't built in with the mantle?  Or am I just not knowledgeable enough yet to understand that I don't even need to worry about that.  Thanks for your time.

terbium

Stirrer/hot plate.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2002, 07:45:00 AM »
You use the magnetic stirrer functionality of a stirrer/hot plate. You place the soft shell heating mantle on the stirrer/hot plate and stir through the shell.

hsark

They also make
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2002, 11:41:00 AM »
They also make stirrers without hot plates that are alot cheaper. But if you buy the stirrer\hot plate when your mantle quits youll have the hot plate as a backup.

I think i like it!

utopium

Read?
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2002, 05:13:00 PM »
Nomad - 

You need to do a lot more reading.  Do you have the Zubrick book?  Read what he says and look at the pictures.  I think the reason you want to go with FBF is because you want to be able to let the flask sit on the hotplate/mantle, and you have no idea about stands, clamps, oil baths, etc.

Here's the best advice you'll ever get.  Wait.  Read.  Save money and buy the proper equipment:  Hotplate/stirrer combo, Round bottom flasks, vacuum pump (a good one, and not an aspirator).

It's ok for chemists to use doityourself equipment, because they know what they are doing.  For self taught bees like us, having the best equipment means less screwups and no second guessing.  Believe me, that's important.

"No...why would I need a fire extinguisher?"

nomad622

I am in the process of doing more research, and ...
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2002, 07:46:00 PM »
I am in the process of doing more research, and am learning more each day.  I will check out the Zubrick book.  Thanks :)

Precursor2112

Dont Fuck with any of this shit
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2002, 03:09:00 AM »
Without reading the Zubrick...

some of the stuff attempted here can kill you and at the least cause a REALLY BIG fire...

read the Zubrik..swip2112 has had two implosions...

With an ASPIRATOR!

"If they make me dig up roots, I'm going postal.."

nomad622

What's the boiling point of the peanut oil?
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2002, 02:59:00 AM »
What's  the boiling point of the  peanut oil? I am realizing that the hot plate with oil bath is the way to go.  Thanks

nomad622

Would you suggest any particular edition, or ...
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2002, 03:11:00 AM »
Would you suggest any particular edition, or would you say that only the most recent would be the way to go?

Rhodium

The editions are very similar, go for the ...
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2002, 05:27:00 AM »
The editions are very similar, go for the cheapest one.

jacks_addiction

starlight - great refs!
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2002, 07:26:00 AM »
Exellent refs indeed starlight:

Post 89079 (missing)

(bliss: "flat versus round bottom flasks", Chemicals & Equipment)

and for <$50 at :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471387320/qid=1024031767/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-6749770-3860632

you get - The Organic Chemistry Lab Survival Manual: A Student Guide to Techniques <- recommended by everyone,

finally IMO, and near-nonexistant experiance @ Rb IS...that thet  automatic sritting thing that gets to go on there - very very cool esp under refluxing

AND mantle + thermometer makes more icing on the cake that is legally allowed in some countriried

RB + (1-3 neck) w/ ,mantle, thermometer, varisc controller and condendsor sre probsably 5 pieses of glasswhere you'll never regret investing in

(shoppings SO much fun!- enjoy!)

I am jacks addiction - jack gets me drugs - I keep jack happy

nomad622

Thanks, and in case anyone want's to know, there ...
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2002, 07:18:00 PM »
Thanks, and in case anyone want's to know, there are some for sale if you do a search under google....used books.  I found some for under $10.   8)