Author Topic: To react or not to react, that is the question  (Read 2542 times)

Northern

To react or not to react, that is the question
« on: July 21, 2004, 09:41:00 PM »
SWIM's dream was about to come true.  They for once had everything they needed and was to proceed with their lwr.  They had the LB I2 the H3PO3 and the cleanest Psuedy they had ever had.  One problem in SWIM's rush they forgot to get DISTILLED WATER.  Now swim is so anxious to do the rxn but they thinks gee LWR mean long wet reaction.  They have the long and reaction part down but no wet.  They had filtered water but that seems not too good.  However swim has thought the H3PO3 has been exposed to the air and thus has a bit of water in it since it is sticking together in unfavorable manners.  What if they omitted the water and proceeded to use an excessive amount of H3PO3 instead since it does contain a good deal of water.  Or MAYBE only MAYBE used filtered water?

Any suggestions or should they wait until tomorrow and buy a gallon?

barkingburro

go buy the damn gallon
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 04:36:00 AM »
just bite the damn bulet man and go buy the gallon. it's at most 18 more hours. why go through all the trouble to do something right and then not do it right? yes you could just react with some tap or filtered water, it is a minor amount after all, but still. you should wait just as a way to teach yourswelf a lesson. he who forgets the details has to wait for the cheese.

wareami

Distilled water...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 05:01:00 AM »
Can't really comment on a rxn that Ibee has yet to conquer, but the LWR was formulated to work with HI/RP rxns(time, temp, and hydration-wise).
From all I have gathered, the h3po3/h3po4 rxns will not require 30-48hours to complete.(UTFSE for time and temp tips)
Yes h2o is a major component of any HI rxn, but don't sweat it too much if tap water is all that is on hand.
Yes distilled is preferable and can be aquired aside from purchasing a gallon of bottled dh2o.
Another source, Buy a bag of Ice as most commercially sold ice is made from distilled h2o.
If yer buried that far in the sticks to travel, just use tap water. It's most likely well water and shouldn't have any rxn inhibiting minerals/contaminants.
Ibee's used tap it in the past with no ill effects.
The main concern with tap water would be added chlorine like in some major cities.
Either way....you need h2o!

morpheus

wait
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 05:35:00 AM »
In addition to chlorine in tap water.Great Brition is thinking of putting fluoride in their inner city water to help with dental decay.Our area has been doing this for at least 25 years.Also periodical tests on levels of the two
have shown a remarkably high % of arsonic.Kind of makes
me happy I drink coca-cola.

geezmeister

water...
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 08:36:00 AM »
IF you have the H3PO3 open its is absorbing water from the air. It will turn into a pool of liquid on you before you know it. You need water in that reaction to dissolve the H3PO3 and you need enough for the reaction. Don't try this reaction too dry. You need the water with H3PO3. I still use the ratios in Rhodium's lead post on the  Alternative to Red thread.

Its smarter to use distilled water. Unless you tap water is notoriously over-chlorinated, or harder than nails with minerals, its not going to stop the reaction or seriously impede it. I'd recommend distilled water, but I will also tell you I've done the reaction with tap water without a problem. The tap water in my area isn't particularly hard water, btw, as it derives from surface water sources rather than aquifers. 

Get the temp up to 120C, and reflux for 8-12 hours.

While it is refluxing, go get a gallon of distilled water.